Why humans have so little hair compared to other apes

The very first time I heard the word “hirsute” used, I thought the person said “hair suit”, which is kind of the same thing. #marginallyontopic

3 Likes
1 Like

When we originally designed humans we did not want them mistaken for monkeys, and so we made them look different so that scientists can recognize that we are different products.

3 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes

bearded humans actually have MORE facial hair than many apes.

You haven’t met me then…

Are you an unusually hairy ape?

3 Likes

Also kangaroos and emus.

1 Like

Can confirm.

Of course nowadays many humans hunt something other than antelope…

Pokemon%20Dog

10 Likes

That’s just socio-culturally driven reverse-evo-psych phenotypical divergence*. Guys with big beard don’t NEED your sissy emotional communication.

So, again, it all comes back to tool use. specifically the tools to invent Gatorade /s

*may not be actual academic jargon…yet

4 Likes

I see what you did there.

4 Likes

:man_bald:

2 Likes

The Aquatic Ape hypothesis made sense and still makes sense to me. The convincing part of the argument, or so it seems to me, is that mammals that wallow lose their hair. Think of the pig, think of the elephant. When you see pictures of Japanese macaques sitting in hot springs with snow on their heads, it kind of drives it home. Elephants are really sea-going animals. There was an article a few years ago about an elephant that spent its time swimming from island to island in the Indian Ocean. The elephant’s trunk is the midway stage to the blowhole that dolphins and whales have. If is doesn’t show in the fossil record, so what? Absense of proof is not proof of absence.

3 Likes

Hippos, actually. Closest land dwelling relative to whales and dolphins.

3 Likes

1 Like

6 Likes

Elephants are more closely related to manatees. Allow me to introduce you to the amazing and bizarre clade called Afrotheria.

5 Likes

Because humans are prettier and don’t need the ugliness covered.

2 Likes

Elephants are not really hippos! …I - You - What - URRRRRGH!

1 Like

Indeed. As Jack Handey put it:

“I’d like to see a nude opera, because when they hit those high notes, I bet you can really see it in those genitals”

http://thinkexist.com/quotation/i-d_like_to_see_a_nude_opera-because_when_they/181259.html

1 Like

I sort of envision them retracting during the high notes

3 Likes