Why is Eminem's legacy in rap taking a hit?

Originally published at: Why is Eminem's legacy in rap taking a hit? | Boing Boing

1 Like

I was never a big fan in the first place… his work is kind of a misogynist… Give me El-P anyday…

el-p GIF by Run The Jewels

A great rapper and a great dj, and far less likely to put out lyrics talking about killing his wife…

16 Likes

Well the tacky NFT shit isn’t exactly helping him out these days in that category

5 Likes

Are you being serious? I am not a huge rap connoisseur, but even I have heard of The Game.

4 Likes

Hey, I heard Google was running a promotion this week, and your first 5 searches are free! You should take advantage of that.

Welcome to BB!

6 Likes

Next thing you know they’ll be telling us Grand Funk Railroad, the highest grossing band of the 70’s in terms of concert tickets sold, is crap too.

OK, maybe that’s a bad example.

1 Like

wil-wheaton-dont-be-a-dick

8 Likes

Too late.

6 Likes

sad freddy krueger GIF by Syfy’s The Wil Wheaton Project

5 Likes

Honestly, I don’t understand most of the love Eminem gets since I don’t see how he’s really pushed the genre. Like for example, I feel that Kool Keith has done more for rap especially with regard to the use of horror elements under Dr. Octagon. I feel that there’s far more to rap than just who’s the chart topper. Sometimes, there has to be something in it whether it’s content, delivery, or just weird ass mixing of aesthetics to make it stand out. Eminem never really felt like that to me. He’s technically gifted though, so I won’t talk trash about the body of his work as a whole, just that it doesn’t click for me.

4 Likes

He definitely created his own style of rhyming, which I always found both interesting and annoying at the same time.

2 Likes

Now might be a good time for him to completely change genres, IDK maybe work with Brian Eno, or do something even crazier, like work with inner-city kids or something. Maybe he already does that on the side, I don’t really know him that well. Except I hear he’s a friend of an acquaintance, and maybe that’s reason enough to keep some of his cred.

• sees mild critique of Eminem
  • looks for “racist against white people” comment
  • leaves both satisfied and disappointed
7 Likes

Dance Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Schitts Creek Ok GIF by CBC

So did your racist rant…

9 Likes

You graduated with Honours from Mediocre White Man College, didn’t you?

9 Likes

With honors, I’m sure…

Why do white dudes got to ruin EVERYTHING…

Anyways…

confused unbreakable kimmy schmidt GIF

10 Likes

Dude, you left your hood and bedsheet off when you took that pic. We don’t play that game here.

11 Likes

He never could top his best song (see below).

From the fact that there’s not even a “this comment was deleted” marker, I can only assume someone really shit the bed.

Anyway, on topic; one thing I like about music is that one artist doing well doesn’t prevent other artists from also doing well. Do I enjoy Eminem’s music? Yes. Do I also enjoy other MCs? Also yes.
It’s not a zero sum game, and the best bit is, once one person makes something, other people can take that concept in completely different directions

2 Likes

Eminem had a legacy?

I really have been living under a rock.