Why is it so frakking hard to disable animation in web browsers?

Well, right, part of the point of these plugins is that you’ll have to disable Javascript.

So, with Javascript disabled and the rest of those plugins, Guardian doesn’t show animations. Success? I’m still confused as to the status of this.

I use the Stylish browser extension to disable CSS animation (and other effets I find annoying) by creating a per-site style with:

a,
button,
div,
iframe,
span
{
animation:none !important;
box-shadow:none !important;
text-shadow:none !important;
transform:none !important;
transition:none !important
}

You can also make a global style that applies to ALL websites. Some sites don’t work correctly without “transform” (like Google Images) so you will have add per-site styles in those cases. Unfortunately, the current trend seems to be fading, “dumbing down”, and slowing down UIs (user interfaces)–not just on computers but Comcast Xfinity boxes and even Brother printers. VERY annoying! Complain to companies to get them to stop this nonsense or, at the very least, add options to disable all this crap!

1 Like

What OS are you using? Both Windows and MacOS have settings to reduce animations system-wide and browsers will often honor this whenever possible.

This topic was automatically closed after 672 days. New replies are no longer allowed.