Why is New York City replete with scaffolding?

Originally published at: Why is New York City replete with scaffolding? | Boing Boing

1 Like

This is really good:

2 Likes

Crains New York Business (aka, the home-town version of the WSJ) has a lot of fun articles on sheds with interviews of the building owners, residents, and city officials. One of the sheds in that video was actually taken down in 2018 after only 14 years of facade problems. Of course, they need to fix up the inside and replace window casings of the building now, which will require another … shed. More articles in this google search.

Hint for Crains website, if you get past the “subscribe” modal, you can click “Print” to view the full article. Or just subscribe since they are cheap and do better journalism than other places. Full disclosure - I appeared on the front page once.

1 Like

If only there was a solution…

1 Like

sheds are also a source of income (for NYC) – you have to file for a permit to put up the shed, and pay a fee for the permit. so if there are a few exterior projects in the building’s pipeline aside from LL11 work, like roof repair or window replacement, it is cheaper to leave the shed up than take it down and refile for new permits to put up another one.

2 Likes

It’s better than getting hit with a loose window pane or brickwork.

And they come in handy when it rains.

3 Likes

On Christmas Eve morning, I walked from Penn Station to Grand Central.

I can testify that there were lots of scaffolds and sidewalk detours.

Mostly totally unremarkable if you’ve spent any time in Manhattan, but the construction maze around Penn Station was interesting to navigate with a roller bag.

5 Likes

So, money. Paired with the scourge that is urban landlords.

Something tells me I already knew that.

Big Scaffolding, I guess?

We visited NYC 3 months ago – I liked when we ended up in the Post Office lobby instead of Moynihan Hall.

My word, this gentleman’s Youtube voice is exhausting.

That said, I did watch the whole thing. Except for the ad.

3 Likes

The video says that “Local Law 11 has helped to create a massive $1 billion scaffolding industry in New York City”.

1 Like

I rarely hear real voices on YouTube videos like this, because I’m playing them at 1.5 or 2x speeds. :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

I came here to mention this!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.