Why is the average human body temperature falling?

Could be, but you have to ask yourself, “Where did those reptilian overlords come from?” And the fossil record is clear— they came from the distant past on

which are really

It’s all a giant lattice of coincidence.

6 Likes

Because we’re already dead.

2 Likes

When I was a child, way, way back in the day, human body temperature was said to be 98.4. I heard it was later changed to 98.6 to match 37 celsius.

2 Likes

my baseline temperature is 97.5 fahrenheit and has been since i’ve been in my 20s and started noticing.

the downside is that when my temperature is in the neighborhood of 99.5, which would be a low-grade fever for someone with a 98.6 baseline, i feel like i’m running high fever. and when my temperature is 104 i am completely delirious.

6 Likes

I’m going for the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.

3 Likes

Including dead humans in the average would be a confounding variable…

2 Likes

You should fix the title to ask ‘Why is the average American human body temperature falling?’

This is not to say that the trend is not happening globally, it well might be, but the numbers come from studies done in the US only.

5 Likes

My baseline is 97.6, and when I had a 104 temp, when I had dengue, I had some wild hallucinations. Do not recommend.

5 Likes

over the course of 4 days at 104.5 with sepsis and then 4 days of recovery i lost nearly 30 pounds. as a weight loss method

yeah, that’s it.

5 Likes

Reduction in production of testosterone.

Anyone is delirious at 104. It’s not a matter of high high above your “normal” baseline. It’s the effect of heat on the chemical actions in the brain.

It isn’t. I worked in nursing decades ago. One of the first things we were taught was that 98.6 was for the textbooks. In reality average temperature was a good degree lower. That turned out to be correct.

And a possibly related question: Why is it harder to maintain weight level now than in the 1980s?

1 Like

If you click through, you can see the authors thought about whether the first estimate was just wrong, and why they think that’s not what happened. Basically they actually have time series data from historical measurements that show steady declining averages over time.

I can’t generalize my case to the general population without doing research, but anecdotally, I’m certainly WAY cooler than I was a few decades ago.

Yes, but not on flying saucers… from right here, in hibernation… everyone knows that…

lady-vastra-and-jenny|nullxnull

2 Likes

2dsfjp

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.