Why is the average human body temperature falling?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/05/why-is-the-average-human-body.html

3 Likes

I have a theory, total unproven, but it’s my theory.

15 Likes

My theory is that it’s because we’re (as a species, not us as individuals) are becoming colder to each other…

23 Likes

Anecdotally, my kid has always ran cold. If she was 98.6 odds are that was going to go higher.

3 Likes

I’m cool with that.

14 Likes

There are so many variables, and the amount of variation is tiny.

4 Likes

I have a theory, it could be bunnies!

Srsly though, my normal temp isn’t 98.6 but 97.8. No clue why, I guess I’m just chill.

12 Likes

Millennials are killing body temperature?

15 Likes

And I’m all het up about it.

5 Likes

I can almost see this conversation:

Climate Denier: “See?! This proves that the climate isn’t warming!!”

Other: “Au contraire. As the climate gets warmer, the body reacts by going cooler.”

Climate Denier: image

7 Likes

Sounds like sampling bias to me:

From the article-

Age matters too. The older we get, generally, the colder we are

Western populations have generally being getting older on average during the time these studies have been happening. If you have a number of samples of people, each one reflecting the make-up of the population at the time it was taken, you’ll see a cooling effect if your later samples are “older” than your earlier ones. Then also, if we look at each sub-study, if they track a cohort of people over time, you will again see a cooling trend, as the cohort ages.

15 Likes

I’m incorporating your theory into mine, let’s see what happens?

6 Likes

I think it’s obvious and I’m not going to say it but I’m saying it’s definitely aliens.

15 Likes

Unspoken theories are the best… otherwise, you’d see (more) fistfights outside of science conference venues.

5 Likes

Harnessing human energy a la The Matrix?

2 Likes

It’s interesting that the most likely set of causes for this are some of the exact same things that previously had been identified as influences that are probably making Americans more obese.

1 Like

My guess was that they’re beaming the stolen heat into Antarctica to melt Thwaites Glacier and create beachfront property for their summer homes, but the Matrix battery thing looks pretty plausible too.

Let’s wait and see what QAnon has to say about it.

4 Likes

Given the current times… that sounds plausible. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Reptilian overlords actually

1 Like

Any chance that it’s, “All brontosauruses are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, and then thin again at the far end.”?

7 Likes