Why is the McRib only offered occasionally and why so randomly?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/28/why-is-the-mcrib-only-offered-occasionally-and-why-so-randomly.html

5 Likes

Because so many people find out each time how they’re actually made?

giphy

24 Likes

Because it takes a while for people to forget the last time that they tried it?

28 Likes

It’s the eggnog of sandwiches.

15 Likes

9 Likes

Right? I thought an infinity of chicken existed?

16 Likes

“It is important to remember than when McDonald’s decides to sell a pork item nationally, it may be buying up pretty much all the pork available,”

This is a fairly key piece of it. The McRib diepends on the price of surplus pork being cheap. If the price of pork rises too much, the McRib goes away.

12 Likes

The original process was developed at what is now called the U.S. Army Natick Soldier System’s Center in Natick, Massachusetts. Natick’s Army labs are responsible for creating the military’s food, clothing, shelters, airdrop systems, and soldier support items.

Who knew the peace dividend could be so appetizing?

8 Likes

Sir,
I’m afraid that I shall have to take issue with you.

2 Likes
17 Likes

McEw.

3 Likes

OK Friday, show me a Moebius strip. Now invert it. Shit. Time Travel. I just solved time travel. Wait, no, that’s just a fuckload of chickens.

6 Likes

There are zero aspects of pop culture that aren’t perfectly covered by The Simpsons or Family Guy, all of them hilarious.

5 Likes

I always figured it appeared whenever pork got cheap.

7 Likes

In my opinion the McRib is a second rate king rib without the batter, and I’m in no rush to go out and buy a king rib again.

10 Likes

I’m pretty sure I had this once…

ONCE!

3 Likes

Someone cue up the clip of Krusty saying the animal it’s made from is now extinct. “No, think smaller…and more legs.”

6 Likes

I read this and my inner Steve1989 said, “Nice!”

3 Likes

4 Likes

McDonalds. Oy.
Potatoes that aren’t vegetarian, and ribs with no rib meat.
Mickey D’s, the alternate facts of food.
In the immortal words of Fat Freddy Freak, McPuke…

3 Likes