Why is the McRib only offered occasionally and why so randomly?

The idea of EU people thinking their food purity and labeling laws are superior is pretty laughable when you start seeing the labeling required to sell EU grey import food in the USA. I haven’t ever noticed an ingredient label that hasn’t grown significantly on the US federalization label. All those trace ingredients and E# suddenly show back up.

EU food is almost exactly like the US food. We’re all eating the same slop. Our companies just aren’t allowed to hide as much. Better to know than not know. Yeah, some additives in the US are banned in the EU, but the opposite is true too. EU food has High Fructose Corn Syrup in it too; it just doesn’t get labeled as such.

Differences between EU and US nutrition labels go far beyond ounces and grams | Health & wellbeing | The Guardian

1 Like
7 Likes

Speak for yourself, I stopped eating that shite a looong time ago.

Otherwise, I try to source what I eat, but yes, that effort is often dispiriting, and at times confounding. Even what I grow myself doesn’t fully escape contamination (biological, chemical, ethical, etc.).

4 Likes

Say what you will, but I enjoy those vegetarian “rib” thingies they sell in the supermarket, I think Morningstar Farms makes one.

I’m not sure ultra-processed vegetable and soy gunk with tons of salt and sugar seasoning is that much better for my health though. Maybe slightly.

Unfortunately pretty much any food that comes through large scale factory production likely has rat turds and cockroach parts in it, as well as trace amounts of petroleum oils and industrial solvents used to clean and lube the machines.

Eat up!

2 Likes

food grade petroleum products are used in the food industry equipment where incidental contamination is possible. You can expect to get a few drips of chain lube in commercial potato chips. If you’ve ever made potato chips yourself, buying them instead means digesting a tiny amount of mineral oil but still probably worth it.

2 Likes

If I’m hungry enough McD’s will taste good for the first couple bites, but after that terribly bland. Lessee… McNuggets are ok if doused in enough real honey. McChicken sandwiches actually have a flavor, black pepper, which is ok once in a while. And while you can do better, they haven’t figured out how to blandify soft serve ice cream.

1 Like

McDonald’s breakfast sandwiches are good. Their burgers are dramatically outclassed by the A&W chain here in Canada, so my only McD purchases are in the McMuffin category.

I remember thinking McRib’s were amazing as a kid. When I came across them again a few years ago I thought I’d have one as a memory thing. Not a success, never again.

When I was in Barcelona for business, my host and I stopped for some gelato after some wonderful tapas. My flavor choice was conventional, but my host indicated that he was partial to a particular flavor when he sees it occasionally: Roquefort

To me, drinking egg nog is like drinking melted ice cream.

Exactly. Or sweetened pancake batter.

:unamused:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.