Why is the Ventriloquist one of the most overlooked Batman villains?

Originally published at: Why is the Ventriloquist one of the most overlooked Batman villains? | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Plenty of great villains in the Legion of Doom

3 Likes

“can we please move on to other Batman villains…at least for a little while?”

How about… The Economist?

4 Likes

i know a few ventriloquists - they’re okay - mostly everybody hates ventriloquists - especially ventriloquists

with one exception - Ladies and Gentlemen - Don Knotts

6 Likes

Palindrome is pretty impressive. A good challenge for the script writers.

3 Likes

'cos no-one knows it’s him.
Obvs.

1 Like

The uncertainty around the actual nature of the Ventriloquist/Scarface duo has always made them an especially interesting villain. I would love to see more done with them as well. Maybe something with some Vertigo connective tissue in there

1 Like

Why is the Ventriloquist one of the most overlooked Batman villains?

Because he wasn’t in the Adam West series and …

… actually nobody’s ever heard him (only his dummy)?

2 Likes

That time when Scarface got in a jealous rage over the Ventriloquist’s new sock puppet was tragicomic gold.

2 Likes

It’s hard to credibly make him a threat because Scarface, while ruthless, is basically just a stereotypical gangster, while the Ventriloquist, no matter how screwed up his mind is, remains a pudgy milquetoast who isn’t physically intimidating. Batman should be more than a match for a 1920s gangster, especially one with a glass jaw that’s bigger than his entire body.

Honestly if I lived in Gotham I’d be a lot more worried about the ruthless gangster who had a bunch of thugs armed with Tommy Guns than I’d be about the guy who kept threatening the city with brain-teasers.

4 Likes

Some characters just work better on radio.

3 Likes

They could make him creepier, by having Scarface remain Scarface, no matter who the current Ventriloquist is, and never explain it.

2 Likes

Let’s think outside the Joker—here are 15 other villains to consider for The Batman sequel

Ugh, please, not the Court of Fucking Owls

I’m also not a huge fan of Clayface. His powers are too “magical” for my taste (yes, it’s a personal preference, but for me too much magic lowers the stakes in comic movies) but more importantly he’s just too similar to Sandman from Spider-Man who I didn’t care for that much either.

1 Like

I think we can all agree - the sequel to The Batman should feature Kiteman or The Condiment King as the primary villain

3 Likes

Together they’d be unstoppable!!

1 Like

Kite Man! Hell Yeah!

The Riddler was wasting his time with crime. He should have turned his talents to inventing an online puzzle game, bigger than Wordle, and then cash out for at least 7-8 figures and retire.

He’d have the satisfaction of finding out who could match wits with his game.

2 Likes