Why it took so long to get a Wonder Woman movie

The cartoon Young Justice was axed because it was too popular among tween to teenage women. It sold alright and was wildly popular. Especially for its plethora of female characters in main roles. But not to the perceived superhero toy buying demographic. Not at all considering that maybe girls would like them too if there was more variety for them in that genre.

12 Likes

Two words, She Hulk.

One of the best female characters in Marvel. One of the few characters who shifts between “serious” and outright comedic roles. Depending on whether she is in an ensemble or solo title. Plus to paraphrase Dr. Mrs. The Monarch, “Lawyer and Superhero is like combining a shark with a grenade launcher”

11 Likes

Welp… okay then. I guess we’ll shut up and go back to being quite little women.

23 Likes

Yes, yes… we’ve already been told to shut our pie holes.

15 Likes

Nah.

The movie industry is old-fashioned. It’s really hard to persuade investors to spend lots of cash on something different to what’s succeeded in the past. The big money people are not interested in social change, they’re interested in money.

Maybe it was a simple accident of fate that initially male characters appealed more. Maybe it was sexist. Who knows - I’m sure filmy people do.

And we will get rubbish female characters, as the investors push studios to make movies quicker, cheaper, etc, so they make money.

So enjoy Wonder Woman, hope and pray that equally good stuff comes, know that rubbish will also come.

“Why it took so long to get a Wonder Woman movie”

Because our social system is based on patriarchy.

15 Likes

17 Likes

Jeez Mindy! What do you broads even want anyways! I can name 3 or 5 strong female heroes from the last oh… 40 years of cinema, what more do you want? More than one every 5 years? Pffft! Greedy!

Side note: everyone always mentions Ripley from Alien. Alien came out in 1979. 38 fucking years ago. How many male heroes, super or otherwise, have we had in the same period? LOL - is it even possible to count?

23 Likes

For the record, I didn’t feel happy typing it.

Oh, for a Dionysian world!

7 Likes

And of course, you know, it’s JUST movies. I mean, it’s only a multi-billion dollar global industry, that helps to shape how we understand and perceive the world… I mean, who needs more women as superheroes, right? And talking about it REALLY shouldn’t happen. I mean, films aren’t promoted, pushed, and advertised into popularity right? There has never been a case where a film by and about women has been mis-promoted in any way, right? It’s all in our pretty little heads…

We really should just get over ourselves…

17 Likes

No, I didn’t imagine. But we ignore reality at our peril, yeah? It’s good to type it and it’s good to understand it, so that we can actually change it one day.

6 Likes

I’d rather sit down and share some pie. Some coffee too? I am partial to strawberry rhubarb.

1 Like

This is why we can’t have nice things. Because the “stop liking what I don’t like” people yell louder than the “How about we just like what we like” people.

11 Likes

Ripley is in 3 movies iirc. I bet they’d still churn out more, but Weaver didn’t even want to do the last one. The last two Alien movies have female leads.

…and nine Batman ones…

That count would have to exclude either the '66 Adam West or the '17 Lego: Batman, as well as two Columbia serials from the 40s.

Plus over two dozen animated films featuring or co-featuring Batman, including those in the B:TAS, Batman Beyond, and DC Animated universes, and the animated adaptations of the Miller graphic novels. (Most of which nobody knows about, but seriously, any list of “Batman movies” that doesn’t include Mask of the Phantasm or Under the Red Hood is not a good list. And if the list only includes theatrical releases, then MotP still qualifies.)

Yeah, there’s been a lot of Batman.

7 Likes

I don’t know what hay to make of it, but the article misses the Catwoman movie with Halle Barry. (Which I did not see as yet–gave up on the Batman franchise until Nolan revitalized it)

Not that Catwoman is necessarily the type of representation feminists have been arguing for, but hell yeah, that’s what’s being asked for. Because people producing lots of bad things to skip is part of ending up with lots of good things to enjoy, and vice versa. That’s Sturgeon’s law. It applies to anything common.

And yes, it would obviously be better to have female characters be common enough for people to pick and choose which ones they like, than to reserve them for when the perfect pedestals come up. It seems you somehow got tired of “feminist chest-thumping” without hearing what they wanted?

16 Likes

Including no small number of anti-heroes, or heroines of questionable writing.

2 Likes

How nice for you that you can comfortably base your choice of entertainment solely upon your perception of its quality and not on whether you see people like you represented in that entertainment, because the default setting is entertainment that features people that look like you. Anybody who isn’t a white male doesn’t have that luxury. So when they actually see well-crafted stories featuring well-depicted characters that actually look like them, it’s a big goddamn deal to them.

To you it’s just another good movie. Fine. To a lot of people, who don’t have the luxury of being portrayed in entertainment as the default setting, it means a very great deal more. So maybe you can let them enjoy that?

Would you rather have one great movie every 30 years that everyone will remember, or have several shitty ones that everyone will forever laugh at

Why are you under the impression that those are the only two choices? In what insane world is “one great movie every thirty years” even close to acceptable or reasonable? I’d rather have “half the great movies every year”, thanks.

19 Likes

Let me get this straight. Your argument here is that a lack of female-led top quality superhero films has nothing to do with discrimination or bias in the entertainment industry, but rather has everything to do with a lack of female-led top quality source material?

And what do you think is the cause of the supposed lack of female-led top quality source material? Just bad luck? Alien conspiracy? Or maybe it’s – wait for it – discrimination and bias in the entertainment industry! Huh.

22 Likes