Why (or why not) to vote for Bernie Sanders

Only time will tell. However, with just under half the states yet to hold primaries/caucuses, I maintain that it’s too soon to call it quits for Sanders. The results over the last couple weeks lead me to believe Clinton’s nomination is nowhere near guaranteed.

10 Likes

I haven’t been following the race super closely, since my state already caucused (Full disclosure: I caucused for HRC, for various reasons, but have come around on Sanders after the caucus).

But I really am concerned about this:

Sanders: ‘We’ll See’ If I Will Fundraise For Down-Ballot Democrats (VIDEO)

What is y’all’s thinking on this? Is not fundraising for other Democratic races going to be an obstacle to getting things done?

1 Like

I totally agree. I think Silver’s list (via @hello_friends above) of how well Sanders would have to do to win the nomination looks pretty plausible. Just take how much better he has been doing than people thought he would be doing, and continue that level of overperformance into the future and he’ll have the nomination. Sanders “can’t win” the way that Trump was going to flame out in a month or two. Nobody knows what they are talking about.

6 Likes

I think she’ll win CA and NY and that’ll effectively be it, but I think the people in those states should be allowed to make that determination.

Since Clinton won’t have enough of a lead that she would win even if all the superdelegates voted for Sanders, I see no reason for Sanders not to stay in until the convention and force a vote (even if she did, I think everyone’s voice deserves to be heard).

And yes, Clinton and her surrogates need to acknowledge the positive aspect of Sanders running, and show that she’s listened and learnt. This patronizing - “you’ve had your say, now be quiet and let the adults take it from here, when you’re over 30 you’ll understand” attitude isn’t going to help her any, and she’s already got incredibly negative ratings to overcome.

8 Likes

How about ‘because he doesn’t need lawyers to protect him from an FBI investigation’?

3 Likes

Unrelated but linked from that article was:

Short version: people say Clinton took lots of money from oil and gas companies, oil and gas companies cannot make direct donations to campaigns, so it isn’t true.

She didn’t take money from oil and gas, she just took hundreds of thousands from oil and gas company “employees” (we have no idea if that’s just people who happen to work for the companies or if it’s CEOs) and she explicitly refused to rule out donations from oil and gas when directly asked. The substance of the allegation is that she is beholden to those interests, calling the specifics a “lie” while leaving facts on the table that still support the “beholden to those interets” theory is a very weak defense.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me think Trump can beat her.

9 Likes

Same old sleazy politician shit, that makes calling Bernie a politician seem like an insult.

1 Like

I know that employees are ‘encouraged’ to contact, vote for and donate to politicians that the company liked (in the employees own time, of course). I get sent plenty of them.

Never saw that before I moved to the US. I think it’s really weird, and kind of threatening. “Nice job you have there, be a shame if anything happened to it”.

11 Likes

I think it only happened to me once, but it left an incredibly unsavory taste in my mouth. Employers pay us for the labor we provide, it doesn’t give them any right to demand we spend our compensation in any particular way.

4 Likes

Oh jeez. I don’t think I ever saw that at Boeing and I am sure they pretty much ‘pay off’ both parties anyway. CSC either for that matter. The most I every saw was hey get out and vote tomorrow/today kind of emails.

2 Likes

Trying to campaign against his boorishness and racism (which everyone should realize by now is not working) instead of trying to campaign for something worth voting for

To be fair, this will work better in the general than the R-primary. But it’ll only work if Sanders ideas are brought more to the fore. I suspect Clinton’s upper class arrogance will prevent her from doing this, and her run will look more like Romney’s.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I can’t do this anymore.

I don’t have a vote in the US election but it does affect my life, and for the first time in my life there was a candidate, Bernie Sanders, who I felt was trying to make things better. I disagreed with him on some things but I put my differences to one side. Things were great.

Then another candidate comes along, and her supporters demand that I side with her. I am opposed to her on so many levels I can’t find common ground. I ask if she would move, if we could meet half way (I already moved considerably to support Bernie). I get told no, that there is a bigger evil, and I am a traitor if I don’t support her.

It’s too much. I already have two disability benefit applications to fill in this year which are draining on their own. I’m trying to get through the year without killing myself, and this is too much stress.

I am muting all the rest of the US election threads until November, except this one. I still hope that Bernie wins, but I don’t want to destroy myself in the process.

22 Likes

10 Likes

Owen Jones of the Graun is trying to get an interview with Bernie Sanders. Could be interesting.

3 Likes

Sounds like Clinton is being a little disingenuous about minimum wage increases.

http://usuncut.com/politics/hillary-15-hour-minimum-wage/

1 Like

I realize this is total speculation, but what do you think the chances are we could see either the Clinton Foundation, some of clinton’s fundraisers, or possibly the Clintons themselves be implicated in the Panama Papers? How about the Bushes, Dick Cheney, or Donald Trump?

7 Likes

To a certain extent, this is uavoidable though. By this standard, Sanders took money from my employer. Of course, he really took money from me, but I entered my employer in the appropriate field when I made my donation.

I am 100% sure that my employer doesn’t like Sanders.

4 Likes

Sanders was warning about Panama becoming a tax haven 5 years ago. And Clinton thought it was a great idea.

@actionabe yeah, mine too. I don’t think it’s a very fair criticism but it’s still funny. And maybe there’s some conclusion that can be drawn from so little donations coming from people in an industry.

10 Likes

I think there’s a good chance of that, considering how much money they have. But I also think that there would be a good chance that such revelations would be treated (by her campaign, the corporate media, most of her fans) as just another kinda-shady thing she’s done that’s technically legal so, you know, “okay.”

7 Likes