Why (or why not) to vote for Hillary Clinton

Cross-posted.

4 Likes

That straw man won’t build itself. It takes disingenuous questions first.

3 Likes

Bernie Sanders campaign will become consequential when he demonstrates in multiple states with diverse populations; he can in fact win those states. If Bernie can’t win in multiple states with diverse voting electorates; then his hopes of winning the democratic presidential nomination will be inconsequential.

What is a state that Bernie Sanders has won, has a diverse population, is a collection of islands, and is usually known as Hawaii? Oh I know, Hawaii. Did you know that?

10 Likes

Apparently Washington isn’t diverse either because Asians folks and Hispanics don’t count.

I think Khephra is using “diversity” as a code phrase for Black folks.

5 Likes

Even though I am a Hillary supporter, I think Bernie has a admirable and correct position in regards to Benjamin Netanyahu the leader of the Likud Party.

Bernie was one of the few elected officials who refused to attend Netanyahu’s speech to the U.S. Congress. Bernie rightfully pointed out Netanyahu’s speech was disrespectful to President Obama.

Bernie is also one of the few presidential candidates who refused to address AIPAC.

One reason why I would have no problem supporting Bernie if he wins the democratic presidential nomination, is because I believe on the Israeli-Palestinian issue he would take the correct approach.

I believe Bernie and Hillary have thus far in this election cycle split the Jewish vote. Both Hillary and Bernie enjoy support from the Jewish community.

The Jewish vote was important for President Obama in 2008 and 2012–and the Jewish vote will be important and critical for whoever the democratic presidential nominee is, Bernie or Hillary.

Winning the Jewish vote will be critical to winning swing states like Florida and Ohio.

Cuyahoga County in Ohio is the key to winning Ohio in a presidential election. It will be near impossible for any presidential candidate to win Ohio without winning Cuyahoga County–and there is a large Jewish-American voting electorate in Cuyahoga County.

Beachwood, Ohio is the home of the renowned Maltz Museum of Jewish Heritage.

Mission Statement

The Mission of the Maltz Museum of Jewish Heritage is to introduce visitors to the beauty and diversity of that heritage in the context of the American experience. It promotes an understanding of Jewish history, religion, and culture and builds bridges of tolerance and understanding with those of other religions, races, cultures, and ethnic backgrounds, serving as an educational resource for Northeast Ohio’s Jewish and general communities.

About the Maltz Museum

The Maltz Museum of Jewish Heritage is a lively community space that attracts students, adults, and groups from the community and around the country. Devoted to diversity and tolerance, it opened in 2005 with a simple mission: to build bridges of tolerance and understanding by sharing Jewish heritage through the lens of the American experience. The stories of individuals and families – past and present – come to life through state-of-the-art exhibitions, interactives and films, oral histories, photographs, and artifacts. The Museum includes The Temple-Tifereth Israel Gallery – an internationally-recognized collection of Judaica – and a special exhibition gallery featuring important exhibitions of national and international acclaim.

Again,

Bernie Sanders campaign will become consequential when he demonstrates “in multiple states” with diverse populations; he can in fact win those states.

I think you will soon see what I mean.

If Bernie is going to win the democratic presidential nomination he must not only win Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, California–he must win them by the same and even larger margins than Hillary won Florida, Ohio, Georgia, Texas, South Carolina, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama etc .

Hillary has built her delegate lead not by just winning the African-American vote, she has also been winning the Hispanic/Latino vote and others in the voting electorate that comprise the Obama coalition. Even if Hillary loses all the upcoming primary states (which she won’t), Bernie has the daunting task of having to keep Hillary below 40% (which he won’t).

You don’t here many (if any) Hillary Clinton supporters expressing the same reasoning that you have repeatedly professed in your post comments about not supporting Hillary.

Hillary Clinton supporters overwhelming will support Bernie Sanders if he wins the democratic presidential nomination, regardless of what state they live in.

You certainly have the right to exercise and cast your vote as you see fit.

Bernie Sanders talks about a 50 state strategy for a reason. Hillary before Bernie, when she announced she was running for president, indicated she would be running a presidential campaign based on a 50 state strategy.

Before Hillary, Howard Dean then head of the DNC called for a 50 state strategy, which was then put into action by then democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama in 2008.

If voters had followed your logic, democrats would not have flipped republican states like Colorado, Nevada, North Carolina and Virginia in 2008.

I certainly hope that voters in Georgia, Mississippi, Indiana, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina and Arizona vote for the democratic nominee for president and all other democrats up and down the ticket.

Every vote counts-- you never know if your vote can help turn a state democratic (like in 2008) or set the stage in 2004 for what happened in 2008.

We comprise only 2% of the electorate, so “critical” is a bit of an exaggeration.

Moreover, Jewish voters who voted for Hillary in the primary are not going to vote for Trump or Cruz over Sanders in the general.

[quote=“khepra, post:337, topic:72574”]
Bernie Sanders campaign will become consequential when he demonstrates “in multiple states” with diverse populations; he can in fact win those states.[/quote]
He’s already done that; Alaska, Washington, and Hawaii are 3 of the 10 most diverse states in the US. If - as enso suggests - you mean something different by “diverse” than the rest of us do, then there is also, for example, Michigan.

The same argument you are raising against Sanders can be raised against Clinton, just swap “diverse” with “northern” and “Clinton” with “Sanders” in your statement I quote above. It isn’t a sound argument, either way. Why not just wait and see what happens in California et al? (Unless you are trying to use the fact that Sanders can’t win in California as an argument as to why votors in California shouldn’t vote for him, which is what it feels like you are doing.)

4 Likes

What is the percentage of the Jewish-American vote in Florida and Cuyahoga County in Ohio?

If the Jewish vote is not important in Florida, than what was Sara Silverman doing when she campaigned so hard for President Obama in 2008.

Sara Silverman: The Great Schlep

Finally,

What was that 2012 ad in Florida that featured Benjamin Netanyahu?

Both Ohio and Florida are swing states that presidential candidates Romney and Obama are vying for. It is no coincidence that the ad starring Netanyahu will be running in Florida specifically – since it is not only a battleground state but one with the third largest Jewish population in the U.S. (behind New York and New Jersey) with over 630,000 Jews, nearly 5% of the Sunshine State.

The Republican Jewish Coalition has also targeted Florida: It recently put up billboards in Florida Jewish communities that read: “Obama Oy Vey, Had Enough?” According to JTA, the RJC is also responsible for launching a $5 million TV ad campaign aimed at Jewish voters in swing states like Florida, Nevada, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

You are right we have a different idea of what diversity is.

We have a different idea about caucus states versus primary states.

However if you are right, then Bernie will have no problem winning by the large margins he needs in: New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, California, New Mexico and The District of Columbia–all presidential primaries “not presidential caucus states”

How many presidential primaries has Bernie won with diverse ethnic populations?

Sara Silverman can do what she likes, she’s an adult.

Since the Florida and Ohio primaries (and the 2008 general election) are past, I don’t see their relevance. If you are trying to say that Sanders would lose because Jewish Clinton supporters in swing states will vote for Cruz over Sanders, stop beating around the bush and say so.

3 Likes

I live in WA state. If Clinton is the candidate and loses here she’d never become President anyway. It’d be nice to see the DNC try to earn the votes from this state instead of just showing up for fundraisers occasionally and taking us for granted, though.

As the results at the weekend showed, Sanders is overwhelmingly the choice of this state. I will be interested to see whether any of the superdelegates from this state choose to respect the choice of their voters. If not, I’m not sure I particularly want to support them down ticket either.

But don’t worry - I’m not a citizen yet anyway, so I don’t get a vote. Best I can do is donate. If Clinton needs help on that score, she can go ask her buddies at Goldman Sachs.

5 Likes

That’s because independents don’t support Hillary. She’s a professional pro-corporate member of the Democratic Party. Independents aren’t excited by yet another Clinton or Bush.

You haven’t given any reasons for non-party members to support Clinton over Sanders. Why should we?

I don’t care about your Democratic Party. I never have. I’m a Washington State native living in California.

6 Likes

And then there are things like this, where the superdelagates actually ignore the will of the people of their state and just do what they want.

http://usuncut.com/politics/alaska-superdelegate/

5 Likes

That’s a textbook example of how not to build your party for the future.

For those superdelegates who are officeholders, the threat of not voting for them in the future might be enough to get them to at least consider changing their votes, and in any event discuss them in a civil way. This Kim Metcalfe person doesn’t need to be responsive, but is not doing her party any favors.

1 Like

As the Trump/Cruz thread will close in just a few days, I’m branching this here. Seems like @Tiredoflibs has an argument against voting for Hilary Diane Rodham Clinton, in that a continuation of Obama’s governance strategies, as Clinton has espoused, leads to death threats against The Real Donald J. Trump.

4 Likes

Hillary supporters can target super delegates who support Bernie but come from states, districts, U.S. territories or democrats abroad that voted for Hillary.

Of more importance is:

Why ( or why not) to vote for Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton

Because Hillary has made it clear to her supporters and the voting electorate at large about the serious, urgent and dire importance of electing democrats in 2016.

At the conclusion of the 2008 democratic presidential nomination process, Hillary Clinton actually won the popular vote over then senator Barack Obama.

I would bet that some of the supporters of Hillary Clinton did not like the fact that Hillary at times was leading and eventually won the popular vote during the 2008 democratic primary nomination process, yet many super delegates during the primary contest (as Barack Obama won more states) broke from Hillary and switched their support to Barack Obama, allowing him to win the democratic presidential nomination.

In this 2016 democratic presidential nomination primary, Hillary Clinton has won more states and territories than Bernie Sanders. Hillary also has a larger elected delegate lead than then senator Obama ever enjoyed over Hillary in 2008. It needs to a!so be pointed out that Hillary also has a 2 and 1/2 million popular vote lead over Bernie Sanders at this point in the 2016 democratic presidential nomination process.

Bernie Sanders has won 10 democratic presidential caucuses. States that use caucus formats to elect their presidential nominees represent a significantly lower portion of the voting electorate in those states; than states that elect their presidential nominees by the primary format. If you take the 10 caucus states won by Bernie Sanders, you can take a combination of almost any 2 or 3 democratic primary states won by Hillary Clinton; and those states account for a significant higher popular vote total.

When Hillary Clinton lost to then senator Obama in 2008, she and her supporters fought to the end, but in the end, Hillary supported and campaigned for then senator Obama, helping him win the presidency in the 2008. The supporters of Hillary Cinton followed her lead and voted for then senator Obama helping him win the 2008 presidential general election.

If Bernie Sanders wins the democratic presidential nomination, Hillary will support Bernie. There may be a few Hillary supporters who won’t vote for Bernie Sanders, but the overwhelming and vast majority of her supporters will vote to elect Bernie Sanders president.

This presidential election is one of the most important in history. The social, cultural and political direction of America is in peril . The U.S. Senate, U.S. House of Representatives, U.S. Supreme Court, federal, state and local legislative governance and local judicial elections will be decided–determining what direction the social and political soul of America takes.

Certainly not all, but far to many Bernie Sanders supporters have a one track 'Bernie or Bust" mindset. Certainly not all, but far to many have no concern if republicans are elected to the U.S. Senate, U.S. House of Representatives, federal, state and local office, local judicial seats–and most importantly whether a democrat or republican appoints the next several justices to the U. S. Supreme Court.

Bernie Sanders is on record supporting a 50 state strategy. Bernie is on record saying it would be a disaster if a republican is elected to the White House in 2016. It would be beneficial to the chances of the Democratic Party in 2016, if some of the one track “Bernie or Bust” supporters of Bernie Sanders understood like Bernie, the importance of electing a democratic president and voting for democrats up and down the ticket in 2016.

Not voting for the Clinton Dynasty, second round. Thanks.

I don’t care about the Democrats. I’m not a member of that party and never have been.

5 Likes