Why (or why not) to vote for Hillary Clinton

Well, 7 (22.5%!) of those votes are just motions for cloture. They’re not votes on bills. They’re votes to end debates. It is kind of silly to include them because it double counts votes for the same bill in one case (well, 7x counts) and in another case, they actually voted on the actual bill the same exact way.

No one is arguing that Clinton isn’t pragmatic or less progressive than Sanders. She compromises to get what she wants.

I get this feeling that there is this group of progressives who would rather send someone to the White House that spends four years “sticking to their principles” and getting absolutely nothing done than send someone who gets most of their agenda accomplished with compromises, but still moves the nation slowly but steadily left.

I think they want Progressive President Ted Cruz - who will shut down the government and refuse to do anything until he gets her way (or more likely, Congress overrides her veto).

Oh, I’m sure there are lots of Clinton voters who are pretty mindless about their selection too.

But no, I don’t think that’s a consensus or in line with anything Bernie has been standing for.

Sure, none of us want anything BAD to happen, so we’d love a president that wouldn’t invade other countries, lower taxes on the rich, or otherwise trap us in bad policies. But progressives tend to be pro-progress.

1 Like

Paul Ryan is a leader within the Republican Party, republican Speaker of the House of Representatives–and the so-called and far from it, intellectual guru of the Republican Party.

Paul Ryan has once again illustrated why, despite Donald Trumps racism, bigotry and messaging to white supremacists–he has no problem endorsing Donald Trump. Not a lot of difference between Trump and a slick “dog whistling” version of Trump, named Paul Ryan.

Audra Jackson, an intern for Congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson, gathered Democratic interns for a selfie response on Tuesday, in an effort to show a more diverse class of interns than the ones featured in Ryan’s photo.

Now speaking of Murray, Cleaver continued, saying, “He has been pushing his theories of the bell curve and white supremacy, and Ryan quoted him as one of the authorities [behind his inner city comment].”

“[Ryan] later said he didn’t know about Murray’s background, which suggests ignorance,” Cleaver continued. “And so, if you know the least, you shouldn’t speak the loudest; and that got him into some trouble. And I think that’s what people want to know is: Does he embrace Charles Murray or not?”

But although Cleaver reserved his most cutting words for Murray, he made it clear that he hadn’t forgotten about Ryan’s “inner city” comment — which Cleaver, and many others, interpreted as a racial dog whistle.

@khepra, I’m sure your heart is in the right place. You don’t want Donald Trump elected, and few, if any, of the usual posters on this board would disagree with that.

If you want to talk about why America should elect Clinton, this is a good thread to post them.

If you want to post about why America shouldn’t elect Trump, there’s a separate topic for that.

So, please. We all know why electing Trump is a bad idea, and Clinton is generally seen as a favourable (or at least, “lesser of two evils”) alternative. If you want to say good things about Clinton, you’re in the right thread, and with her current likeability ratings, that would probably be more helpful. But if you want to just piss on Trump, please go to the topic that’s specifically about pissing on (or praising) Trump, because this isn’t the topic for that. This is the topic for praising (or pissing on) Clinton.

Thank you.

12 Likes

I’m not convinced at all that has happened with the last two dem presidents. In fact it’s apparent we’ve been moving to the right.

7 Likes

That’s kind of my take too.

I suppose if we need to add more detail, we’ve gone to the Western center when it comes to gay marriage (we’re behind the curve there), but we were to the right on that issue so the trajectory has been left.

When it comes to basic human dignity (safety nets), equality (taxation policy) and hawkishness (war/invasions) we’ve definitely seen the democrats pulled to the right since FDR.

Healthcare’s a wash. The ACA helped a bit with equality, but locked us into an eternal loss with respect to the insurance companies. I honestly hate the fact that we lost the public option, I’d rather have just had that.

There’s also a distinct lack of ‘standing up for what’s right.’ among democrats, decency simply isn’t valued as much… which is sad because nasty people are using attacks on minorities and the weak and we NEED people with some freaking moral fiber.

12 Likes

Why (** *** ***) to vote for Hillary Clinton

There is no greater reason to vote for Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton, than her recent rousing speech before America’s preeminent African-American civil rights organization–the NAACP.

Vote for Hillary Clinton and democrats up and down the ticket in 2016. :scream:

2 Likes

I really don’t see the point of earnestly asking oneself whether to vote for Clinton if one lives in a swing/purple state.

I mean yeah, if you live in Texas , feel free to vote your conscience. Green. Bernie Sanders. Deez Nutz. Your dog. Whatever.

If you live in Ohio, Florida, North Carolina, Illinois—any state whose recent votes have been within a tight margin—the decision of which presidential candidate to vote for is, one way or another, a no-brainer. (Damn right you see what I did there.)

So let’s say Clinton gets elected. What then? Actually, let’s fork that outcome further:

1. Republicans win House and Senate
  2. Republicans, House; Democrats, Senate
  3. Democrats, House; Republicans, Senate
  4. Democrats, House and Senate

Now what?

1 Like

The reigning NBA world champion Cleveland Cavaliers play at Quicken Loans Arena, site of the 2016 Republican National Convention.

Josh Jordan
Josh Jordan‏ @NumbersMuncher

The Cavaliers are checking with the RNC to see if Trump will be done speaking before the season begins.
Jul 21, 2016, 11:17 PM
166 RETWEETS
206 LIKES

1 Like

When someone asks you to stay on topic in a thread, DON’T go look up their profile and quote their personal info in the thread.

That is getting into flagging territory.

9 Likes

They weren’t wrong. If Mitt Romney had won there probably would be a new justice by now. The only reason Obama didn’t appoint another justice is that Senate Republicans have taken the wholly unprecedented stance of refusing to fulfill their Constitutional duty on the matter.

4 Likes

My guess is that anyone Romney would have appointed would be indistinguishable from Garland. Have a look at this graphic of the affiliations of his appointments as governor of MA.

1 Like

Hillary Clinton
Hillary Clinton‏ @HillaryClinton

“The best way I can sum up what I hope this election will lead to…is: Love trumps hate.” —Hillary
Jul 22, 2016, 6:14 PM
3,298 RETWEETS
8,943 Likes

"Love Trumps Hate"

Here’s Hillary yet again :scream:

Psssssttt… your reply to chgoliz doesn’t actually address the issue she brought up.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Is this the bombshell that ends the Clinton presidency?–in July!

Nah, just another demonstration of the unethical corruption of the Democratic establishment.

Lucky for them that they’re running against a fascist.

4 Likes

I agree with you on the voting, Trump and whoever in the DNC (Shultz or any staffer) sent those e-mails.

I agree with Bernie, she should resign:scream:

DWS won’t be addressing the DNC.

More bad news from this weekend.

Not a good Gravis poll for Hillary, as the ethnic demographics are very similar to who voted in 2012.
http://www.oann.com/pollnational/

538 (now, polls-only and polls-plus) polling beginning to trend in the wrong direction.

Trump Bump?

Hillary Clinton is tough and she is a fighter. Bad times and how you respond reveal character, determination and leadership.

Democratic Vice-Presidential candidate Tim Kaine: "Tough Times Don’t Last, Tough People Do"
https://www.yahoo.com/news/kaine-tough-times-dont-last-190635941.html

If Hillary Clinton isn’t up by a fair bit after the debates, this will be the very first election that I donate the maximum amount to a candidate - because it is a lot cheaper than moving to Uruguay for four to eight years. I’m stashing away money for it just in case.

5 Likes