Why (or why not) to vote for Jill Stein

Well the season closer of Supergirl had her thwart a plot for world domination through the awesome power of ADORBS!

But I will admit if approached by an army of cute little Kittenbots, Puppyborgs or Hedgehogroids I will be powerless to resist their malevolent cuteness.

3 Likes

Oh, OK, I feel stupid now :slight_smile: Hmmā€¦ I consider Twitter a hate amplifier and avoid it, so I donā€™t really know about the cultural aspects of using common language there.

That being said, it seems a bit of a stretch to say you are conflating yourself with something if you snaffled a soundbite, though. Does every scandal that ends with ā€œgateā€ mean that you are the same as Nixon, for example?

1 Like

She did walk back her initial statement after the Brexit vote.

It said this to start with

The vote in Britain to exit the European Union (EU) is a victory for those who believe in the right of self-determination and who reject the pro-corporate, austerity policies of the political elites in EU.

http://www.forwardprogressives.com/green-party-jill-stein-busted-cover-up-praise-bigotry-driven-brexit/

Pretty standard left-wing criticism of the EU, I guess. Although it didnā€™t go down well, mostly because the Exit campaign was mostly run by right-wing critics of the EU and the result isnā€™t going to be left-wing anti-austerity.

No, but every label of -gate invokes Watergate, and every -LivesMatter is comparing itself to #BLM.

If sheā€™s invoking #Brexit as a parallel to her own movement, it probably isnā€™t going to get her many converts on the left wing.

1 Like

Thanks for those links, that looks like some very legitimate criticism of Dr. Steinā€™s actions and statements.

I have to confess I have mostly been concerned with domestic policy and havenā€™t paid much attention to her statements and views on foreign relations, and frankly it looks like she hasnā€™t been directing her attention there either. :frowning: The Greens may need to shore up the ticket with someone who has serious foreign policy chops, much as President Obama did with Joe Biden.

I imagine thatā€™s true, given the racist and reactionary origin of the ā€œbrexitā€.

But again, I donā€™t do the Twitter, so I donā€™t know if itā€™s normal to read this much into single words. Do people there usually deconstruct hashtags into explicit political position statements? Seriously asking.

Just saw this go by:

Christ almighty.

2 Likes

If GP presidential candidates are selected by a genuinely democratic process, and the GP presidential convention which nominates their candidate hasnā€™t even happened yet, how did Jill Stein have the authority to let Sanders be the nominee?

Yeah, I hope she lost the vote of the science-friendly crowd there. She didnā€™t walk the anti-vax line but she sure didnā€™t walk the pro-science line.

ā€œI think thereā€™s no question that vaccines have been absolutely critical in ridding us of the scourge of many diseases ā€” smallpox, polio, etc. So vaccines are an invaluable medication,ā€ Stein said. ā€œLike any medication, they also should be ā€” what shall we say? ā€” approved by a regulatory board that people can trust. And I think right now, that is the problem. That people do not trust a Food and Drug Administration, or even the CDC for that matter, where corporate influence and the pharmaceutical industry has a lot of influence.ā€

Thatā€™s justā€¦no. So much no. The boards are pretty heavy on the academics and well documented. Theyā€™re well watched and about as evidence based as they come.

Any science-loving physician would say exactly that, not create a bunch of fearful imaginary drama where no controversy exists and support the Anti-Vax maniacs.

1 Like

Well, thanks a lot. I had finally made a decision to vote for Stein because I live in Alabama and no way Clinton is winning and now youā€™ve thrown a wrench into it with your damnable logic.

7 Likes

Sorry!

5 Likes

From what Iā€™ve read Jill Stein has that too but hidden behind the fig leaf of ā€œanti-Zionismā€.

1 Like

This is a bit half-arsed.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a rather narrow view of things.

2 Likes

I still have a HUGE issue with the ā€˜FDA being controlled by drug companiesā€™ as a relevant response to ā€˜do vaccines cause autismā€™. They donā€™t belong in the same sentence. She should not be adding doubt, and I think itā€™s kind of irresponsible.

The answer should just be ā€˜NO. Vaccines donā€™t cause autism and they should not be feared. Periodā€™

The FDA has too many lobbyists and such involved, but there are a ton of academics and others who have been busting hump for the greater good and they have more than enough influence and transparency to eliminate any reasonable fear of vaccines.

The issue with the FDA is more related to the approvals process, the scheduling of useful medications (psilocybin, etc.) so that it canā€™t be used in research and therapy, and some of the political aspects of competitive medications, especially as generics are rolling out.

Lots of the rest of her platform is AWESOME (healthcare as a right, equality for all races and creeds), so I should be a little less harsh probably, itā€™s just that this particular issue is one that has extra meaning to me, and it seems like the anti-vax and anti-GMO crowd still has too much influence there, yā€™know?

1 Like

If she came out and said that, sheā€™d lose their votes. So equivocate!

2 Likes

Too bad we have a winner take all system!

If she could say ā€˜I donā€™t want your vote if youā€™re deliberately endangering people by being stupidā€™ then a bunch of us could just join the ā€˜non-stupidā€™ government and leave the crazies behind.

O/T, and I donā€™t generally have a lot of time for Lindsay Graham (to put it mildly), but I did respect him for telling someone who wanted to ban Islam that he didnā€™t want them to vote for him.

5 Likes

I remember that! It confused my brain briefly, but it was really cool to see SOMEBODY say it!

1 Like

Heh. That was a second go at the tweet. I guess the first one got a bad response, so she watered it down.

2 Likes

Quoting that site? Really?