Why semicolons are lovely and colons less so

I used to use this for extended cut-and-pastes…

---8<---cut here---8<---

Oh, and the line above that is how I often use an ellipsis too.

2 Likes

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/4f016964-c56c-48f9-960f-27d355381675

1 Like

Sorry, no offense intended. I figured this thread was meant to encourage bitching and moaning about the state of typography in the early 21st, and was just doing my best to oblige.

There are several for Linux, but if you are regularly using a special character then you are better off knowing the compose key or alt key combination for it. It will speed up your typing.

1 Like

It’s cool. We were just getting off-topic. :slight_smile:

I assume in terminal? Then yes, you are correct.

My thoughts are with average users.

No, Gnome Character Map is a GUI app.

KDE has it’s own character map app too.

2 Likes

I’m corrected. I knew a Linux SA who did everything via terminal. My apologies are offered.

1 Like

From the 8 MLA school?

5 Likes

No problem and no apology necessary

2 Likes

Eminem-dashs don’t have padding around them because otherwise,

His soul’s escaping through this hole that is gaping…

5 Likes

Dear [deity or none],

Please don’t mention the Oxford comma.

2 Likes

I don’t know if that was wise; invoking all and no deities is a surefire way to get no attention, LOTS of attention, or some dastardly mix of the two.

I’ll see myself out.

3 Likes

Says the person whose name is “ArcLighter” :slight_smile:

1 Like

The SarcMark (short for “sarcasm mark”) was invented, copyrighted and trademarked by Paul Sak, and while it hasn’t seen widespread use, Sak markets it as “The official, easy-to-use punctuation mark to emphasize a sarcastic phrase, sentence or message.” Because half the fun of sarcasm is pointing it out…

The Snark Mark
This, like the copyrighted SarcMark, is used to indicate that a sentence should be understood beyond the literal meaning. Unlike the SarcMark, this one is copyright free and easy to type: it’s just a period followed by a tilde.

4 Likes

Pro-tip. If you’re on Windows 10, Win+; or Win+. brings up a charmap window with emoji, kaomoji, and symbols. It’s quite nifty.

image image image

4 Likes

It didn’t have any characters beyond “?”?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.