Why smoke follows you around a fire

Originally published at: Why smoke follows you around a fire | Boing Boing

8 Likes

So what I take from this is to encourage my friends to sit close to each other while I’m on the other side.

7 Likes

This is certainly interesting (seriously) but it also completely fails to explain the near-universal phenomenon where, when you are sitting around a campfire in a circle with friends, the smoke goes to you, personally, and if you move to another seat in that circle, it still follows you.

(There is presumably a whole untapped body of science which will also explain why you’re always in the slowest lane on the highway, and why it rains when you plan for a sunny event. Possibly the universe is a simulation.)

14 Likes

you gatta say “rabbit, rabbit” and the smoke will go the other way.

14 Likes

That’s completely unscientific. As we learned in Scouts, you must say “white rabbit” three times fast and the smoke will

I’ve said too much.

14 Likes

A phrase in my wife’s family is “Smoke follows beauty.”

4 Likes

Beautiful people get cremated?

For a more detailed explanation of why this happens with soldering iron smoke, this video includes actual experiments and demonstrates that the simple explanation has more nuance than you might otherwise appreciate.

4 Likes

The fire smoke only follows you if you’re in league with Lucifer.

7 Likes

Yeah, but he loves me, so…

10 Likes

But that’s how I got so beautiful.

10 Likes

Thanks for this! The original post’s explanation didn’t seem to me to hold water, and your video supports my hunch. It seems unlikely, especially when sitting near a fire instead of standing looming over it, that a person would block enough air to change the flow of the smoke column. It’s more likely that in still air, relatively small changes in current move the smoke easily, and that people only notice when the smoke is in their faces and not all the other times it blows other directions.

1 Like

Next up: why you trail your farts back into the room

1 Like

Why do birds
suddenly appear
every time
I am near?

10 Likes

Pro tip (that most people who do this often probably know) make sure you use dry wood. There will always be some smoke but wood that is damp will have a ridiculous amount and be unbearable.

It’s a fairness thing. Someone else sitting in that circle is getting all the mosquito bites. [It me.]

4 Likes
3 Likes

I thought that was long since sorted out by scientists.

Sod’s Law.

1 Like

confirmation bias, maybe??

I never watched Lost but my understanding is that campfire smoke chasing people around was quite a problem, especially for those that were morally compromised.

2 Likes