Why some people get "skin orgasms" from listening to music

The phased outro of “Bold As Love” reliably does it for me.

I think part of it is that it’s a denouement, like a drop in EDM. Like a regular orgasm, delay makes it that much better.

2 Likes

definitely get this from a lot of music. I know it ain’t profound or nuthin’, but Debussy’s Claire de Lune used to be a guarantee but i burned out aftwr i put it on my daughters sleepy time playlist. now I hear it and just think of a baby who won’t sleep.

Shivers can also come from a distinct absence of music. My wife showed me Nyle DeMarco’s paso doble from dancing with the stars. Partway through the dance they faded the music down but he kept dancing in perfect time with the same intensity. when i realized what they were doing, giving the audience a taste of Nyle’s experience as hearing impaired dancer, I definitely got a shiver.

4 Likes

I came close to tears the first time I heard the choir singing the “Kyrie” from Ariel Ramirez’s Misa Criolla. To this day I’m not sure which recording I originally heard, but I own several versions.

“Para Machucar Meu Coracao” from the Getz/Gilberto album still chokes me up when I hear it. (“O Grande Amor” also comes close)

(These are both on the basis of the music alone – not counting something that I heard while, or reminding me of being, in emotional stress etc.)

2 Likes

At first I thought this was video game music… too much Guilty Gear, I guess.

Or just the right amount of Guilty Gear.

That game has tons of rock and metal references hidden throughout.

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/myPlace/ggfaqs/ggname.html

1 Like

I get this kinda reaction all the time, frequently from music, but also from ambient lighting and certain scents. There’s a plant (night-blooming jasmine, maybe? I dunno) that blooms at night in Beverly Hills during certain times of the year that makes me feel this way when I get a whiff through the car window while passing through.

Musically it can happen to me at any time; I’m not hard to manipulate this way. Every time I hear that orchestral swell in the Star Wars soundtrack when Luke contemplates the double sunset on Tatooine I get those chills, even on the 200th viewing.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.