Why The Animals' Eric Burdon is OK with Trump using "House of the Rising Sun"

Not that two wrongs make a right but a Scottish friend of mine lent him a guitar at a small folk club in Melbourne, Australia when he got up to do an impromptu and drunken performance. He smashed up the guitar on stage when it kept going out of tune… said friend then smashed up Eric outside the venue.

7 Likes

For years now, you can tell when a Trump campaign rally is over because it’s signaled by the children’s falsetto that begins the Rolling Stones’ You Can’t Always Get What You Want. You would think that a song named that, with lyrics like this are inappropriate:

I saw her today at the reception
In her glass was a bleeding man
She was practiced at the art of deception
Well I could tell by her blood-stained hands
You can’t always get what you want

But I bet it’s probably one of his boyhood favorites and he “just likes it.”

Or, it’s Trump conceding that:

"Look, government can't accomplish anything and government sucks. And I'm going to suck, hard, but at least I wont lie to you and tell you government can actually help you. We'll do the few things government *can* do: demonize opposition/minority groups; rally around the flag, the military, white supremacy. (Oh, I'll loot the treasury for my family and my millionaire social class, but you dont need to know the details.)"

3 Likes

That’s likely the effect it would have on the karaoke fans in the country.
Whenever I look at the news and think, What the Hell is happening? Then the anthem comes on, I think. Now that is a tune!
Music as a source of good and evil.
Could be a running joke about all the tongue in cheek tracks the music supervisor will choose during the campaign.

Not “Sympathy for the Devil”? Pity.

2 Likes

Yeah, or “My Way” at the inauguration.

I suspect that there’s some intended identification going on there. He thinks that he is what we need, whether we want him or not.

You don’t have to dig for the subtleties with this clown.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.