Leonard Cohen's estate not praising Trump's unauthorized use of "Hallelujah"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/31/leonard-cohens-estate-not-pr.html

8 Likes

Lest you think they are unreasonably protective of the song…

Edited to say that this is probably where the RNC programmers first heard the song…

4 Likes

The party of lawn order folks.

12 Likes
9 Likes

That’s the playbook. Ever since Reagan used Born In The USA without permission, the Law and Order party steals music at all levels of government, and have never faced any consequences.
Other than a helpless shrug by the artist.

20 Likes

Waiting for the Lincoln project to do a remake of Trump’s speech backed by “You Want It Darker”, under license of course.

8 Likes

Arguably it’s the playbook for the entire presidency… break the rules, get away with it.

It’s kind of nuts that there’s no legal recourse for the Cohen estate though.

6 Likes

Also they never seem to listen to the lyrics.

21 Likes

They should have used this one:

19 Likes

One of my kids favorite songs.

2 Likes

Did Reagan continued to use it after Springsteen disavowed him? Don’t remember him doing that.

1 Like

You can only listen to so much Kid Rock and Ted Nugent.

10 Likes

It’s also in Shrek.

2 Likes

More like lawn disorder, am I right?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-kentucky-politics-assault/senator-rand-paul-gets-580000-after-neighbor-broke-his-ribs-idUSKCN1PP0CA

Boucher said he’d “had enough” of the senator’s habit of piling up garden rubbish along the border of their properties in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

4 Likes

Yep. That’s a known issue with uh… such people who… um… don’t have good listening skills. Unobservant people. Hmm, trying to say it’s generally known about… Them.

7 Likes

The fascist mindset encourages uniformity, therefore killing creativity; one wonders how can an artist grow up in an environment like that. I’m not surprised that besides Ted Nugent and some country musicians they have not much choice left.

3 Likes

“Law and Order” means “keeping the shudder dark ones shudder down.” That is all it means.

1 Like

The goal of the Republican Party is to recreate the United States as Saudi Arabia with country music.

This is also their environmental goal, but that’s secondary.

10 Likes

Did Trump use the Jeff Buckley version?
Aaand did it stop at “Saw her bathing on the roof” ?

1 Like

This strikes me as more likely:

4 Likes