Why the Cooper Black typeface is everywhere

I’m sure that there’s a Galactic equivalent.

panic

(I’m not sure where I picked up that copy of the font. The kerning on the PA is awful!)

10 Likes

It’s a reliable fallback (nearly every computer will have it installed), but it still has problems and there are better fonts available.

My prefered dyslexia font is Lexie Readable.

12 Likes

hey man, this is me. I know you’re hip. what I meant was, that album was featured prominently in the video.

4 Likes

I realize now that I came off like an asshole to you, and I didn’t mean to. I apologize. :bowing_man:

5 Likes

Really? I’d say if you want to tell something about a type, you should write it down. I made it through the first 20 seconds of the video before I closed it and decided to look it up in that book about typography I’ve got somewhere in the house…

5 Likes

Do you want a Helvetica Scenario?

2 Likes

056c026d-1c66-4d42-9fae-a8e96df290c5-1020x1102

6 Likes

I forced three (designer but not typographer) friends to come and watch that in a cinema. Cost me several rounds afterwards but I enjoyed it.

3 Likes

yes, really. YMMV.

1 Like

I am now seeing Cooper Black everywhere. Thanks for that. No, really, it is an extraordinary and beautiful thing. I know I could never have invented that ‘O’.

3 Likes

I did watch it all, because I found the info compelling and I wanted to see and learn, though I, too, found the video itself annoying. The images flashed by too fast to register (I stopped it soooooo many times to go back and look…) and the voiceover was (to me) annoying.

So, here’s my hint: Slow it down as far as it will go (.25x speed), mute the sound, and turn on the closed captions. Then the experience is more like reading a book. Best of both worlds :slight_smile:

(Also, for those of us who take simple pleasures in silly things, some of the auto-generated captions are, as usual, amusing in themselves :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

With a deliberately “olde tyme” nostalgia vibe projected on it.

2 Likes

A couple other things to point out -

The softer round letterforms and heavy weight are really good for maintaining the integrity of the print even with cheaper processes such as newspaper runs which lose a lot of fine detail.

Cooper Black has been available as a font by default on your average home computer, helping continue its popularity for the latest couple generations.

5 Likes

I know I’ll be branded a Pedant over this, but the usage is “typeface,” then “font,” e.g. Neue Helvetica is a typeface. Neue Helvetica 75 18pt is a font.

6 Likes

Okay, the iron is hot. Where do you want it?

2 Likes

Wait. What typeface is the branding iron set in?

4 Likes

Even Craggy Island?

5 Likes

Another contributing factor is that it stands out against most of the backgrounds that are common in television shows. It pops just as well against a leafy green background as it does against a grey concrete cityscape or a wood paneled room. Even against something like a sunset with a lot of yellow, a thin stroke will keep it highly visible. I still use it when laying out postcards for art galleries because it almost always works until we’re far enough in the process to nail down a color.

4 Likes

In this specific case it’s “typeass”…

That’s over here:

:wink:

4 Likes