Why the disgusting Red Delicious apple rules American grocery stores

Well for me, I like an apple that is firm. Firm to the point that it makes that classic tearing sound when you bite into it. I also don’t care for bitter apples, which to me are ones like Granny Smith or even some of the Golden Delicious. Now I do like a Honey Crisp or Pink Crisp, so tart and sweet is pretty good.

1 Like

It’s like the reprise of a catchy theme:

Watermelon’s can be finicky. I find that weather, especially quality/duration/evenness of the rainfall makes one of the most important aspects to how a watermelon will end up tasting.

Is it just me who remembers watermelons tasted much much better when they had seeds?

2 Likes

I grew up on an apple orchard and for years after I moved away, Mom would save the old-fashioned red delicious for me. When M&D stopped having them, I stopped eating red delicious. If you’ve never had the original, you don’t know how good they can be. Once, they were my favorite.

It’s like a double blind randomised trial!

That’s my recollection as well.

The irony being watermelons still have seeds, but they’re not as good for spitting at your little sister across the yard.

1 Like

they should have to change the name to just “red apple”…the “delicious” bit is false advertising.

2 Likes

Now write an article about the TM-1, a tomato design by the Dept of Ag for one purpose only – to be harvested like this:

For the past two weeks, I’ve been inquiring of the produce guys/gals at my favorite super market, when we might see the return of the Cortlands. I fear I’m beginning to make a pest of myself. I can no longer approach ‘The Tall Kid’ without seeing him scan his memory for any new info that ‘Corporate’ might send a few boxes to that store. I won’t say they’re starting to panic, but if I see them start to gnaw off their paws as I approach to escape the trap, I may have to skip a week before inquiring again. At least long enough for the wounds to scab over.

When the peaches started to appear in the store, I asked ‘The Tall Guy’ if he’d tried one of them yet. Seemed a little early to me, and he agreed, which is why in his family, he said, they usually ate the white peaches, until the clingstone season was a little further along. I was skeptical but bought three of them to take home and ate them when I could judge them ripe. They were pure deliciousness, so fine fleshed and sweet. Not quite ‘peachy’ enough, but oh so good.

1 Like

I’ve worked in orchards. Red and golden delicious apples can be good if picked while still a bit green and fresh. They are almost never good in stores and don’t keep well. They have been bred to ‘look’ like an apple and sell because of that. There are older regional varieties that are far superior. I happen to love York Imperial apples. They are grown in PA, and mostly used for pie fill and apple sauce. They are ugly, but have great flavor, and keep very well in cool basements or refrigerators. There are some excellent new varieties that I have tried including honey crisp, pink ladies, gala, and fuji. If at all possible it is best to buy them from a farm market. They will be cheaper and keep longer. They can also be found in very good condition in grocery stores as well.

I don’t get why anyone buys Red Delicious apples today. What’s their middle name, “ain’t”.

OMG I hate them so much. Galas, Pink Ladies, Fuji, and honey crisps FTW!!

A while back I assigned my sweetheart the task of getting apples at the store and he came back with Red Delicious, and lo, I was mightily disappointed. But actually, they weren’t bad–they were from Washington, not so far away, so maybe that made the difference? But I will still choose any other kind of apple (except Golden Delicious–too sweet-sweet) over those. Apple season is starting . . . I’m excited :smiley:

As did babies and oranges when they had navels.

Babies still have navels, at least around here.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Fuji and Cameo! When I lived in Austin, Central Market had such an awesome variety of apples.

I’ve rarely had a red delicious that wasn’t mealy and otherwise just plain blah.

Sort of related, but anyone have any leads or info on “Pink pearl” apples?

I’ve been absolutely fascinated since I saw this picture (and others), but have no idea what the taste/texture is like. I’d hate to go through the effort of getting a sapling into CA, and waiting years for fruit, only to find that they’re pretty but taste like, well, I guess a Red Delicious.

If anyone has info to share, I’d appreciate it, even if it’s only “I tasted one once, and it was like angels had alighted on my tongue…”

1 Like

That looks like “Crisp Apple” meets “Terminal Gingivitis”

1 Like

And they probably taste better!

1 Like

Nom nom nom!