Why the Pirate Party could end up running Iceland

Came here to make that exact same complaint. Have a recommend.

1 Like

Hmmm, the pirate party seems nice enough, but right now the international arena has a blanket stance against piracy, or at least they say they do. Countries have varying degrees of enforcement for copyright protection, but I don’t know what would happen if a decent sized country simply said, ‘we don’t care.’ Would there be a war against a pirate harboring state? Or would it become a non-state vs state thing with corporations launching attacks, possibly cyber attacks, at Iceland? Could they be the new ‘commies’? Alternatively, the layer of lies that coats the nations of the Earth could be drawn back and things could get better.

4 Likes

The last time pirates seized control in Iceland the king of Norway signed a royal edict to provide the Westfjords with an ample supply of halberds for self-defense.

10 Likes

So what you’re saying here is move to Iceland if you’re a pirate or move to Norway if you want a free halberd.

8 Likes

No, the King was sending the halberds TO Iceland so his subjects there could defend themselves against pirates, he just didn’t trust them enough to let them have guns. It was a complicated relationship.

3 Likes

I am of the opinion that the fermented shark meat is really just to freak out the tourists than something which is actually eaten for any form of sustenance or enjoyment.

Same can’t be said of whale steak at 3 Frakkir restaurant. It is like if ribeye and fois gras had a delicious tender baby. I can safely say that was the best red meat I have ever had. Whales are delicious, I am a bad person.

1 Like

Suck it, fuckstains. We’re coming for ya.

2 Likes

Let em all move to a nice irrelevant place like Iceland for sure. It will give the social alchemists something new to study.

1 Like

Well, it is a surname on an individual basis, but in Iceland you’d say “Thórhildur Sunna Aevarsdóttir” or “Thórhildur Aevarsdóttir” on first mention (as the article did,) and then address her as “Thórhildur” thereafter.

Writing for the English-language readers of the New Statesman who are not familiar with that style, however, that might come off as odd or rudely informal. Think of it as similar to how English generally swaps Japanese given and surnames so they’re in the “correct” order and we don’t go calling Mr. Kurosawa “Mr. Akira.”

3 Likes

. . . Icelandic cop show? Go on.

4 Likes

Trade embargoes, I think. Or like, there are various international trade agreements that require signatories to enforce copyright law, so if you breach contract by repealing copyright laws then you’re going to get slapped with tariffs and other trade-related punishments.

I’ll have what their having.

2 Likes

Is there a journalist version of the “falsehoods programmers believe about names” list?

https://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

3 Likes

Very FSM. Inspired by the 8 I’d Really Rather You Didn’ts?

There’s a few. The newest one I’ve seen is Trapped, which was on iPlayer a while back. This was based on one of Arnaldur Indriðason’s books, and was called Jar City and had a man eating a sheep’s head for lunch. I liked it.

1 Like

Ooh, my library has the books . . . crap, more stuff to read :dizzy_face: (thanks, I love love love mysteries, police procedurals, and thrillers, especially when there’s a series!)

1 Like

I’m especially a fan of foreign ones, as I reckon the generic overlay of a mystery/thriller allows folks to describe a lot about places. I learned a lot of Icelandic history from ol’ Analdur’s books.

1 Like

Smalahove is a traditional Christmas dinner in Norway but maybe an Icelandic cop would get it for lunch. I could easily deal with the cheek and tongue, but the eyeball and brain… /shudder/ The dog must be hungry, right?

3 Likes

I notice that at no point in that video do they actually eat any sheep’s head…

3 Likes

You’re probably right, but how much would that affect Iceland? If I understand correctly, they have a sizable tourism sector, but beyond that they are in many ways self sufficient.

2 Likes