Why the T-Rex has tiny arms

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/29/why-the-t-rex-has-tiny-arms.html

8 Likes

Mad evil science gone wrong?

6 Likes

18 Likes

letterman once said that they were for sealing envelopes. works for me!

4 Likes

From Disney’s most underrated movie: Meet The Robinsons

7 Likes

17 Likes

When we resurrect the T-Rex, those arms will be a delicacy. :poultry_leg:

8 Likes

Already saw it. PBS Eons should be in your subscribe list.

2 Likes

Those arms could benchpress 430lbs.

They’ll need marinading…

5 Likes

Very interesting and entertaining video. Re: the small arms, as strong as the arms still were, if you want incredibly strong jaws then the arm size & strength is going to suffer because they both use basically the same connecting points on the shoulder bones.

3 Likes

Who knew this video would be relevant in two different threads today!

6 Likes

at 5:50

Maybe T. Rex arms were what we call a spandrel—a byproduct of other evolutionary changes that doesn’t necessarily have a purpose or advantage of its own.

A spandrel? You mean the space between the curve of an arch and the adjoining wall/ceiling? Why is he suddenly talking about architecture? Ohhhhh—I get it.

3 Likes

Sort-of like a kangaroo. Different gait and different lifestyle, but it gets along without the arms because it uses its tail. The arms are still used but probably not for life-critical stuff.

3 Likes

Now I want to see hopping T-Rexes.
Fortunately they’ll still be rubbish at boxing.

5 Likes

Frankly, I think T-Rex was the king tyrant and was always pissed off because he couldn’t masturbate.

1 Like

Masturbation must have been a bitch.

2 Likes

I like this one better. A friend at work has this on her cubicle and every time I see it I chuckle.

Trex

7 Likes

Obviously the heat-proof apron didn’t preserve well:

1 Like

OK, maybe not LIFE-critical…

8 Likes

“What’s with those tiny arms though?”

T stands for Trump?