Why the world needs Leftover Cup Noodle Broth Hardening Powder

There are apparently no public trash bins in Japanese cities. So if you’re out and about all day, you’re carrying any trash items along until you return to your house, hotel, etc.

Maybe this is a way to solidify it, so you’re not carrying a bag of liquid all day.

5 Likes

That’s the human body in a nut shell, so’s to speak.

6 Likes

You do find trash bins here and there but my recommendation is to not expect to see any and make sure to have a way to comfortably collect/carry your own trash. Eventually when do you run into the random trash bin you can easily dispose of the trash there. It’s really not that big of an inconvenience as some might make it seem but its good to be prepared.

3 Likes

I don’t know what’s in that stuff.

5 Likes

or filling a trash can with liquid

I thought Japan didn’t have trash cans.

1 Like

I mean, my existing bag of liquid is pretty easy to cart around. I’m totally in control of my spillage.

An additional bag of liquid? That’s a hassle!

1 Like

How is that a waste?

Your trash hauler and city don’t want a bunch of liquid paint all over the streets.

That’s called a human child, for future reference.

10 Likes

This made me think, hmm, I have in the past felt bad when I’ve had to throw liquids in the trash, on account of it’s unhelpful to the person who has to collect it.

But now I’m wondering why I didn’t just dump these liquids down a drain (which are far more abundant than trash bins).

In any case, if I was throwing liquid in the trash so often I had to buy and carry a product to deal with it, I’d take that as a sign I’m doing something wrongu.

3 Likes

1500-2300 is the maximum recommended per day. For some reason (probably commercial food industry reason), while other necessary nutrients are measured in minimums per day, in the US at least, sodium has commonly been reported as maximum per day.

The recommended amount has always been a little harder to find for some reason but it is about 250-500mg/day. This might vary depending on personal characteristics, activity level, and environment. A common US diet might include 9000–12000 grams per day.

Baking soda and Baking powder are often overlooked sources of sodium because they don’t impart a “salt” flavor. Don’t even think of adding cheese to something if you need to restrict salt intake. One slice of American Cheese, 468 mg of sodium. One slice and done for the day.

I thought I would learn why the world needs Leftover Cup Noodle Broth Hardening Powder.

I did not learn that.

You are correct. When I was placed on a low sodium diet, I was supposed to consume 1500 a day or less. 500 a day is closer to the amount required for proper function. If you eat less than that it can cause serious health problems.

Edit: It would be hard to get under the required amount though. It’s not hard to reach even if you completely avoid adding salt or baking soda/powder to any foods.

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of anyone being put on a low sodium diet that strict. Low sodium diets are under 2000, under 1500, or maybe under 1000, depending on the problem.

2 Likes

GirlChild had some of this in strawberry scented “let’s fuck up our pipes” version made for the tub:

Supposedly dissolves with salt (hint, only partially…)

5 Likes

A healthy body is fantastic at retaining sodium or expelling excess sodium that it doesn’t need. We need about 500mg of sodium per day for our bodies to function. Various factors can change that to a higher amount but very rarely to a lower amount.

For example, if you are on a diuretic to reduce sodium because your body no longer does its job correctly, you don’t want to reduce salt all that much as you risk hyponatremia and all the complications associated with that because you’re dumping sodium at an unnatural rate to treat the retention you were doing at an higher rate than off the drug. Fun note, on a diuretic you’re also dumping potassium at a unnaturally high rate now and may need to take potassium supplements to counter the diuretic.

If your activity levels are high, like a marathon runner, you might need more sodium than a normal couch surfer does. Assuming the couch surfer is otherwise healthy.

All those sodium recommendations you see tend to be maximums (hint: the “less than”). A maximum is not a recommended amount. It’s a “not more than” amount. The recommended amount is usually 500mg/day. Below that your body may not function correctly. Almost all the other RDAs you see are minimum amounts for normal body function. Sodium is one of the few that is indicated as as maximum rather than minimum recommended daily amount. Why? Because most people’s bodies are very good at expelling excess sodium so it’s mostly safe to indicate a maximum, not more than…amount.

All those times you ignored the PLASMA TRASH ONLY sign, come to catch up with ya after you went all over the kitchen with the DYMO labelling things REBEL SCUM ONLY.

3 Likes

Oh, so you’re going to up our having a wee at a random Amazon Fulfilment Center game now, making it solid and/or having us excrete sodium metal.

3 Likes

Ok, all very true.

I don’t think anyone in thread was confused about the fact that the sodium recommendations are the maximum amounts though.

The incredulous reaction was to the idea that anyone might be keeping to a sodium intake of 500 a day.

Although the point about medication and hyponatremia is worth adding on. That is one of the ways you can end up with dangerously low sodium. Another would be situations of very high activity or heat, and then drinking large amounts of plain water with no electrolyte intake.

I’ve had to become more familiar with all of the things that go into and out of my kidneys in recent years.

I’m personally still on a very small dose of an ace inhibitor after kidney issues. Those increase potassium retention and decrease sodium retention, so no potassium salt substitutes allowed or you get different heath problems, potentially.

Potassium salt tastes pretty weird anyway. I’m back to a standard sodium limit now, instead of a restricted limit, but that is still hard to keep to with American food.

Never will I ever eat instant ramen again.

2 Likes

“15 minutes”

“lovely and warm”

Hmm, does not compute…

ETA: unless of course you like to near boil your bathwater to begin with.

maybe it’s an exothermic reaction.

1 Like