Why we fart: the fascinating science of flatulance

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/29/why-we-fart-the-fascinating-s.html

2 Likes

The reason is obvious. If we could not fart, we would swell up and explode, like the seagull who ate the Alka-Seltzer. Beans would be considered as deadly as cyanide, and could only be purchased after a mental-health screening and a seven-day “cool-down” period. Of course, the National Bean Society would be fighting for the rights of chili chefs everywhere (except Cincinnati) and demanding full legalization of the high-capacity bowl.

6 Likes

I fart because it’s really, really, funny.

4 Likes

What if our bladder also built up gas?

2 Likes
3 Likes

I was re-watching The Fellowship of the Rings with the kids the other night, and the opening scene where Frodo meets Gandalf just looked like a fart scene. I’m glad some other cool people hand the same idea:

4 Likes

And the one who denied it, supplied it.

Elijah Wood later goes on to make a movie that is one long fart scene with Swiss Army Man.

3 Likes

Hmmmmmmmm…@Papasan?

4 Likes

Pull my finger!

5 Likes

7 Likes

Which zit do I pop? So many choices!

2 Likes
2 Likes

When I was in college, some 20 years ago now, one of my friends as a joke signed me up for Bob Tilton’s mailing list. I got a board game-like poster that I could use to track the progress of my salvation, a tiny vial of holy oil, and a bunch of stickers that said “Paid in full in Jesus’s name!” which I used to put on the envelopes I mailed my credit card payments in.

2 Likes

When I saw this as a kid, most of the jokes sailed over my head, but this was one of the funniest things I’d ever seen.

And one of the most bizarre things was watching it on network TV many years later, with all the farts removed. A full minute of cowboys standing up and sitting down around a campfire for no apparent reason.

10 Likes

We fart because we can. If we couldn’t, we wouldn’t.

2 Likes

Where is this character from? If I seen him I’d get away as quick as possible.

1 Like

I was curious about the seagull/Alka-Seltzer connection. I googled it and apparently it is not true.

1 Like

That first face- he’s either getting his Hobbit junk jumped or he’s really enjoying a fart that is definitely the face you make.

The video made me laugh out loud I never would have came up with that

1 Like

FlatulEnce… /pedant

2 Likes