Why Yoko Ono once performed backup vocals for "Rock Lobster" onstage with The B-52's

It was more than that - the stereo releases were basically “fake stereo”. Just different parts of the masters piped into different channels versus truly realized stereo mixing. When the Beatles catalog was remastered a few years ago they were finally given a proper stereo mixing. Some still prefer the mono mixes as “definitive” but I much prefer the liveliness of the proper stereo mixes.

4 Likes

I’ve not too long ago found that the Greatful Dead also did something called a wall of sound. Spector’s was a production technique. The GD’s was quite literally a Wall of Sound. A massive array of Marshall amps on stage. And I do mean massive
https://livemusicblog-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/why-the-grateful-dead-wall-of-sound-changed-music-forever-696x458.jpg They had to also figure out a way to prevent feedback from that sucker. Way more inovatiive than I had previously thought.

2 Likes

True. The Beatles only started mastering in stereo with the White Album. By Abbey Road, almost everything released was in stereo.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.