Why you can't flick a tick

I’m not sure about this design. I can however recommend the likes of this:

All the same principle. Narrowing cut, slightly raising, shoved below the body of the tick without pressure on it, slightly pulling the bugger, maybe slightly twisting (gif exaggerates enormously, don’t do that or you’re risking to rip of the head which will lead to an inflammation).

Also, this stuff should cost next to nothing. You can buy them branded as a giveaway for your company for 0.56€/piece of you buy 500. Prices drop if you want more. In our local drugstore, the “quality” ones are 2.45€. A bit more at the pharmacy. And they are easier to use and to carry than pincers.

4 Likes

Reminds me of Last Chance To See, chapter There be chicken.

At the university of Bochum, Germany, there was an eminent parasitology professor who would just recommend that. He would also show a short clip from Southern America, Argentina if I’m remembering correctly. It showed an experiment with a cow, being led to a certain patch of high grass, and suddenly a kind of grey mist would form on the grass and move towards the animal. He explained this was a highly agile species of ticks, literally jumping from grass to grass to reach their host…

Nightmares.

7 Likes

Not to help allay fears - in the Canadian Rockies I have seen 2 to 3 ticks converge upon me in straight lines over large rocks and talus while I was sitting and eating a sandwich.

Some people think they just hang off branches or grass and wait…but that’s not the case. They are on the hunt!

3 Likes

How… how fast are we talking? they crawl, right? not jumping?

Damn right! This thread reminds me why I favor paddling vs hiking. And I hate leeches too.

1 Like

Tick bites are a standard part of life in forestry industries.

Preferred treatment tends to split into two camps:

1. Just rip the fucker out with your fingernails (getting the head may require you to tear some flesh with it) as soon as you see it, or

2. Anti-crabs/scabies cream. Lyclear is popular.

2 Likes

Wart removal spray (such as “Wart Off” ) is apparently good for Australian paralysis ticks as it freezes them instantly. Not sure how well it works for other species.

1 Like

That might actually work, but I would be nervous about my own body heat counteracting the effect. I think if my own skin doesn’t get frozen, it might actually not be enough to kill the bug fast enough. And frostbite is nasty, too. Even localised. As everyone who has had a wart removal with liquid nitrogen knows. It hurts.

Ok. Better than tick bourne diseases, anyway.
Granted. :slight_smile:

Oh, and I also would worry a bit that the critter gets to brittle to be removed in one. Freezing most likely dessicates the bugger.

Also, please never forget a spray like this in your car in the sunshine. We had this, in West Africa. (But we were told we were lucky, since it wasn’t a can of WD-40… O_o )

1 Like

See above. Some species do jump.

1 Like

Yep - crawl. Like little homing missiles.

1 Like

“Beat’em or burn’em… they go up pretty easy.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.