Why you should be "healing" yourself with this Alexa-friendly diffuser

Chiropractic “medicine” is based on the completely false notion that all ailments are the result of misalignments of the spine. This is false. Sometimes, and only just, cracking someone’s back will alleviate pain, usually only temporarily, but that’s the extent of what chiropractic medicine will do.

The difference between (oh fuck me, really?) “regulated doctors” and chiropractors is that regulated doctors draw their techniques and diagnoses from science. Chiropractors do not. The foundation of the entire discipline is founded on a falsehood that diminishes in apparent significance the more science is applied to it.

So that’s what I’m going to skewer. The fact that the whole of chiropractic medicine is just some 19th century snake oil salesman’s regurgitation of the archaic practice of bonesetting as a panacea for all human ailments is what I’ll skewer it with.

Just because it feels good doesn’t mean it’s good for you. I’ve heard heroin feels great but I don’t think anyone would recommend that to someone else in good faith. That might sound like an extreme comparison, but your chiropractor doesn’t actually know what’s going on inside your neck or spine, and one visit may be all it takes to make an existing injury much worse, or introduce an entirely new one. Heroin will almost certainly ruin your life, but at least it usually takes awhile.

5 Likes

Just FYI, “essential oil” is an archaic term. They are not, in general, actually oils. They don’t “stick” to things like vaporized fryer grease, they dissipate just like any other aroma chemical.

But does it blockchain? We’re living in the future and if my diffuser isn’t involved in crypto my time it’s being wasted /s

12 Likes

WD-40 is the only essential oil that I need.

7 Likes

Unless you’re a cat (or care about one).

4 Likes

“We have a woo machine that connects to the Internet. Where should we sell it?”

“Duh… Boingboing.”

7 Likes

Neo-Skymall.

1 Like

Yeah, with a slew of rare books on my shelves, thats just what I need- them impregnated with hippie oil. That’ll keep em preserved! /s

If this worked with CBD oil, I might consider it- above my bed, at night.

2 Likes

Internet of shit patchouli oil diffuser. Good lord, I’m gonna have nightmares tonight.

3 Likes

Serious question, what is happening here? Why is Boing Boing of all places pushing essential-oil woo, let alone internet-of-shit essential-oil woo? @doctorow?

Have you been hacked? Are you not aware of the posts your store is making on your behalf? On other sites I would just roll my eyes and snark, but seeing this stuff on Boing Boing is genuinely baffling. What’s going on?

12 Likes

They have a deal with StackCommerce that basically sold off their integrity and standards.

5 Likes

CONSUME

8 Likes

I’m 100% on board here. Hey @doctorow, this is pretty appalling. I don’t mind you guys making money, but could you do in a less preying-on-the-sick way? Healthcare woo like the claims on this product are ugly and if I were you I’d be pretty upset. Don’t you have any editorial oversight on product blurbs?

Look man, it’s an infuser. I even OWN one. They’re great because they smell nice. You can sell one without contributing to the downfall of critical thinking.

12 Likes

Well, I asked for a citation and got one, but I suppose that wouldn’t satisfy you? So, maybe half of “we” are? Your call as always.

Sorry about the delay in response, I have you muted as I find you regularly provocative in a way that leads me to believe your ego is involved, and conversation pointless. This is one of those times.

Keep on with the invalidating ‘we’, see what it nets you? Is that what you were going for? No? Yes? Either way, enough. Please don’t reply in such personal negative ways with me, unless you’re inviting the same. K? K.

29j7av

1 Like

I’m more of a 3-IN-ONE type of guy.

Not in a diffuser of course.

2 Likes

(Citation needed)

Alexa, release the cyanide while my enemies sleep in the guest bedroom.

3 Likes

I’m late to this post, so I don’t know if “healing” in the title was in quotes from the start, but it amuses me that it’s there now.

To the uninformed, essential oil diffusers may come off as nothing more than glorified air fresheners

Wow. Condescend much? If I hear you out and still don’t buy into the woo, do I count as “informed”?

… and are even known to help improve sleep, reduce stress, and prevent illness.

“even known to help”… sounds legit. No way that’s the placebo effect in action. I’m sure there are scientific peer-reviewed studies backing up those claims… around here… somewhere…

4 Likes

For real though, what will it take for @xeni and @doctorow to start policing their co-named ‘store’ a bit more? Front page on reddit or something? A fun NYT expose? Like seriously, how much outrage needs to be generated before y’all start taking some basic ‘our site should reflect our values’ stuff that you hold almost everyone else to, based on articles on this site?

7 Likes