Wife of top Trump official cheers return of measles

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/13/wife-of-top-trump-official-che.html

‘Bring back our #ChildhoodDiseases.’ Ugh.

6 Likes

If she were getting the measles I would find it fucking hilarious.
Sadly it isn’t her. It is kids who have no say in this and IT WILL KILL SOME OF THEM.

Fuck this lady with a saguaro cactus.

66 Likes

May her karma be swift, painful and cruel.

53 Likes

Pah, one little needle is too much for anti-vaxxers, steady on there!

22 Likes

Just because I had the Big Childhood Three (measles, mumps, chicken pox) doesn’t mean I would wish them on anyone else, especially as dangerous as they can be and as easily preventable through vaccination.

43 Likes

I also had measles, mumps, scarlet fever, rubella, (and chicken pox). The possible special bonus* to having had these glorious childhood diseases is that I developed MS in my early 30s.

So, fuck you Darla, you and your shitty WebMD/NaturalNews medical degree.

I vaccinated my kid for MMR. Happily.

*Studies are still underway, trying to find the ‘perfect storm’ of age, environment, and disease.

57 Likes

“Every kid I knew got measles”

What she leaves out is that a number of them just fucking died. And a lot more of them went deaf or were sterilized by it.

72 Likes

Antivaxxers should have their children taken away from them.

13 Likes

Everyone…here’s some food for thought. She announced she once had chicken pox. This means she may end up with (if there is any justice in the world) SHINGLES.

That is as horrifyingly painful a disease as can be got.

Everyone pray to whatever deity, device, object, imaginary friend, or brand of bourbon you worship this evening that shingles is in her very near future.

:sunglasses:

23 Likes

Evil. Piece. Of. Shit.

Roald Dahl, writing in 1988:

Olivia, my eldest daughter, caught measles when she was seven years old. As the illness took its usual course I can remember reading to her often in bed and not feeling particularly alarmed about it. Then one morning, when she was well on the road to recovery, I was sitting on her bed showing her how to fashion little animals out of coloured pipe-cleaners, and when it came to her turn to make one herself, I noticed that her fingers and her mind were not working together and she couldn’t do anything.

“Are you feeling all right?” I asked her.

“I feel all sleepy,” she said.

In an hour, she was unconscious. In twelve hours she was dead.

72 Likes

Well, if ever there was a government that had that skill set dialed in…

7 Likes

If anyone knows which paper anti-vaxxers are torturing with this “measles protects against cancer” idiocy, please link it. I’ve looked and found ZILCH that supports this claim.

11 Likes

So… the regressives are jealous that this was one of the anti-science areas where the idiots were actually fairly left (most anti-vaxxers I know come at it from a hippy anti-big pharma deal) so they want to co-opt it?

4 Likes

That is just gut-wrenching. I know there’s no such thing as cosmic justice, but he brought so much joy to both young and old… just breaks my heart.

19 Likes

The Stone of Madness is strong with her.

2 Likes

I still have scars from the chicken pox.

12 Likes

It might be this one: Measles virus for cancer therapy
Egregious misrepresentation of a finding. The paper actually talks about measles being a good vector for delivery of cancer therapy because it has been so well studied for vaccines.
“That word you keep using – I do not think it means what you think it means.”

22 Likes

I have a friend who now lives in the Philippines.

If you think the measles outbreak in the USA is insane since we have the prevention for it, now envision the outbreak there which is up to 4300 people

So anyone visiting there is going to bring it home. Since there is no test for it at the airport, it’s basically going to spread around the country like wildfire soon.

ps. what’s the current science on measles booster shots? Because my shot was many decades ago

15 Likes
15 Likes

Yeah, there’s a pretty obvious selection bias going on when any adult says “I never [got vaccinated/wore a seatbelt/used a bicycle helmet/avoided taunting wolves] as a child but I survived just fine!”

32 Likes