Wife of top Trump official cheers return of measles

Rhetorical question?

You do, and thank you. :wink:

1 Like

Remember the good old days, when you could get smallpox?

15 Likes

You should post this in the nostalgia and longing thread… o.O
heh

4 Likes

Sadly, no. I was honestly asking if they didn’t believe in basic science. But, who am I kidding?

lumbercartel
BBS Commander

February 14

Sanjay:
Is basic medical science something these people don’t understand?

Rhetorical question?

2 Likes

I’ve now gotten old enough that the scar is gone(!!), but that was one of my go-tos with anti-vaxxers: I’d show them the scar on my arm and ask them if they had one like it. No? Oh, that’s right: because my generation all got the vaccine; now smallpox is eradicated and no one has to get the vaccine anymore!

If you get your kids vaccinated, maybe your grandchildren won’t have to be, or at least not for as many diseases.

18 Likes

So you’d forcibly remove a child from her parents because of a stupid decision the parents made? What of the child? Who going to care for her? Who’s going to provide counseling for the emotional trauma inflicted by her removal?

Anti-vaxxers are frustrating, but taking that frustration out on their children is not the right way to handle things.

1 Like

Yup.

People are desperate to adopt.

Better parents.

Death of innocent people is better?

2 Likes

Well… Yeah…

Which, unless they’re Brown People, it will never happen.

I didn’t know this had happened to Roald Dahl & Patricia Neal (who was her mother, after alll).

Pity he didn’t live long enough to face antivaxxers - now THAT would have been bringing a machinegun to a knife fight!

6 Likes

Most of them still believe vaccines cause autism. So basically, they’d rather see their children dead than have a child with autism. It’s really that simple.

13 Likes

That’s not an argument against vaccination. That’s an argument for further research.

Essentially you’re just trying to push off topic.

3 Likes

Actually, the “Good Old Days” I remember? Was when I got regularly vaccinated for every disease they had vaccinations for! My Dad was in the Army, so his overseas rotations were generally accompanied by a round of Very Painful Shots for his family.

Which very likely saved my life and the lives of my younger brothers, but you don’t think that when you’re being stabbed in the arm repeatedly by large-bore needles! (I’m amazed at how thin and less painful injections are now, compared to when I was a kid. My wife shares my phobia about getting shots, so I know it wasn’t just me…)

OTOH, I remember when we all got chicken pox - while on vacation! It was considered a “Natural Childhood Disease” back then that gave permanent immunity once you’d had it, so I and my sibs just had to let it run its course, itching profusely and slathered in calamine lotion in a tiny hotel room…

I only discovered fairly recently that it’s “permanent” immunity only lasts a decade or so, and when it comes back its called “Herpes Zoster”! It’s different from Type 1 Herpes which is transmitted through oral contact, or Type 2 which is only transmitted through sex - but of course the only form of Herpes most people know of is transmitted sexually.

When I mentioned the story of Olivia Dahl to my wife, she pointed out “just getting measles” had left her legally blind (20:400 uncorrected vision!) - when she got back to school, she couldn’t even read the blackboard, let alone books, without glasses.

8 Likes

Well, dead children are easier to care for - you just bury them and that’s that!

Kids with autism? They need constant care and attention - and who has time for that, really…?

That really IS what antivaxxers’ arguments sound like, if you take away all the rhetoric…

7 Likes

Little bit of an understatement, there. Dangerous would be a better word, and still insufficient.

4 Likes

We will have to reintroduce the requirement of mandatory vaccination for international travel, to safeguard the lives of native and or isolated peoples, who lack of antibodies for “common diseases”. The antivaxxers tourists could cause a genocide.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.