Wild Boars, while delicious, can be dangerous

Ayup. According to people I’ve met who’ve done it, you can gig a boar an inch from the heart and you’ll still be in for a wild ride while it tries to run up the shaft at you. You really want that toggle to be able to hold your full weight, and then some. If it breaks off, climb a tree really fast. Pigs are almost as nasty as humans!

79 inches long, all included.
And the pointy part is really beautifully crafted, of fabulous steel. But hard to justify the purchase for most of us. They actually make a cheaper, more utilitarian version:

1 Like

I saw one of these at a sporting good store in Rosenheim. I was tempted to chortle how ridiculous those German sportsmen are, but then I remembered all those stores that sell swords and knives and stuff at shopping malls in the US…

A key difference is the build quality. Most of the swords they sell at such places are really shoddy. Some are even made of cast zinc with a decorative plating. Of course, Puma knives are not what they once were, either.

Oh, I know. But it doesn’t diminish their ridiculousness.

ETA: One wonders, does Europe have “Sword Guys”?

Yes, I’ve met several. And thanks for that link, it cracked me up!

1 Like

I have to admit that I have four swords right here in the bedroom. But they are very well made. The one in shirasaya was forged in 1600 AD.
The top of my dresser:

I don’t think I am like those people, but the article was funny.

3 Likes

Makes a lot of sense. Should have considered that.

I can honestly say I’ve got no weapons in my bedroom, and only one sword in the house (a Union artillery officer’s sabre from the US Slaveholders Rebellion, given to me by my mother, which has never been sharpened).

But I have some pretty sweet axes by the fireplace, including my museum grade daily driver. And I don’t keep my schlagers, epees, bokken, shinai, SCA swords, Markland swords, fencing sabres, and similar swordish sporting equipment in the house. So I’m just working the technicalities.

Anyway, I’d love to get a look at the temper line and tang of your 1600 AD katana. Hand laminated steel is very aesthetically pleasing!

1 Like

That makes more sense. The preview image is cropped pretty aggressively, which had me suspecting too little haft by half(or more):

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.