Wild tricks advertisers use to make food look appealing

Miniature Corn Cob Pipe
ceci n’est pas une corn cob pipe

6 Likes

Always ends badly.

4 Likes

A stroll down Tokyo’s Kappabashi Street (AKA Kitchen Town) will leave you starving:

The place has everything for the aspiring restaurateur, uniforms, smiling buddhas and bamboo steamers, and… nope, got nuthin.

9 Likes

Just like the hamburger scene in that old movie “Falling Down”. Michael Douglas was Very upset when he realized his sandwich didn’t look like the ones pictured in the restaurant menu.

1 Like

1000w

1 Like

Manners Big Boy restaurants used to have unrefrigerated glass cases at the register, and we’d make perfect desserts out of not-really-crisco & syrups to put in there. Since the syrups were still perishable, we’d have to toss them every week and make a new set. It was much more fun to make the display desserts than roll silverware.

2 Likes

Gawd nose that was a tasty little snack. What? Am I the only one??

Artisanal glue made of organic starch. A niche market to be explored. Mental memo for myself.

1 Like

Yeah, but seriously doubt that you are going to approach that that fine taste of rendered horse that classic glue provides.

1 Like

Mental note for myself: reinforce the vegan aspect of the delicacy to differentiate itself from the competitors.

Invite beep54orama to Join me in this commercial enterprise.

3 Likes

That motor oil sits up nicely on the cakes without sinking in so much.

The “real” beer in the video looked real flat to me.

1 Like

Someone eats it?

Yeah, it all depends on how you pour it. One can easily pour a beer to give it a good head.

Slippery over sticky anytime.
Not attracting pest though, I’m not sure if that’s a plus.

More to the point, how can they hire Jeff Goldblum to always play a nerdy scientist? Hire a real nerdy scientist. Me, for example!

2 Likes

wait-okay

4 Likes

This makes me miss “Zillions” (consumer reports for kids) which detailed all these techniques in the 90s.

i got very hungry once in a japanese airport because i thought this little shop in the terminal my flight departed from only sold candy and souvenirs - specifally plastic models of sushi.

my japanese collegues were very amused when i told them i was going to go eat before checking into the hotel because the airport terminal shop was only selling plastic food

3 Likes