Wild tricks advertisers use to make food look appealing

What’a an Aspie and why is all your food brown mush?

Interesting that you bring up fake milk and also linked to that McDonald’s food preparation video. Years ago I worked for a film effects company and we did a commercial shoot at the famous fake McDonalds restaurant whose sole purpose is for filming commercials. That particular shoot involved a pirate skeleton drinking milk from a happy meal. (A promotion for the first of many Disney PoC movies). That’s when I learned that real milk isn’t considered to look “white enough” on screen, and that the industry standard is to use water mixed with titanium dioxide.

I couldn’t help but think of the “cows don’t look like cows on film” gag from that Simpson’s episode.

2 Likes

Someone who has Asperger Syndrome aka High functioning autism. I have it too.

Once upon a time (early 80s) my husband worked at a place that did a wide range of things including typesetting textbooks and photographing advertising things.

They came in to work one night with at big note saying “Don’t bother the turkey in the break room, it looks cooked but it’s MinWax to make it looked cooked, it is about 50% RAW and will make you sick.” He said it was beautiful, but knew it was a fake.

1 Like

An Aspie is one who suffers from (or enjoys) Aspergers Syndrome. You may find it more understandable as High-functioning Autism, although the two are not exactly the same. We are the people who didn’t understand facial expressions in early (primary) school and loved comics (because they explained the facial expressions). I like irish stew (which is brown mush, if you do it properly) and Lentils (which are brown mush, if you do it properly) and chocolate ice-cream (ditto) - actually I prefer vanilla, but there you go. And I never much cared for cream (or cherries-on-the-top) which eliminates a lot of those “delicious” food advertising pictures.

Yeah, the beer was the most confusing to me, both real and fake. If you manage to pour out a beer, without tilting the glass, and produce that little foam, you really have a very, very stale beer to begin with.

Any beer I know, you would probably have to let it sit, already opened, for a few hours to even come close to that little foam. Even the fake beer produced a lot less foam then I would have expected from that pour, even without the added detergent that pour should have produced foam that overflows the glass.

Is there just this little foam in American beers?

1 Like

Depends on the beer. Heavier beers have tons of foam. Light lagers (whether American or German or whatever) have bigger bubbles and the foam is fleeting. In any case, under hot floodlights, beer foam isn’t going to last for more than a few minutes; detergent-foam lasts long enough for a photographer to set up lighting and get a good shot.

3 Likes

I get the time aspect. A really good beer will stay that way for roughly 2 to 3 minutes max.

In this video we see the beers being poured, and immediately having no foam (in the case of the “real” beer), I can’t imagine that ever happening with a Dutch/German/Belgian beer (some very rare specialty brews excluded).

Keep in mind that this video was also likely shot under hot lights, so you’re seeing what happens to a real beer’s foam under those conditions versus in a bar or kitchen. I’d guess that any excellent German beer poured into a tall glass and then put under studio lights is going to lose its head very quickly.

1 Like

BB is usually pretty good about this sort of thing, but it might have been nice to link to the original video post, not someone who ripped it off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MflT0I7ZPCs

2 Likes

HBO did a special about this in 1989…

2 Likes

Nah, what happened to the “real” beer might be what happens when you pour a warm beer that has been opened hours earlier, into a hot and fatty glass. Some of those things can be excused “because photo-studio” most of them are very easily remedied.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.