Will the MCU finally get Doctor Doom right?

Originally published at: Will the MCU finally get Doctor Doom right? | Boing Boing

2 Likes

No.

11 Likes

They have as much of a chance as they do getting the Fantastic Four right. Maybe this time they won’t fail like they have in all previous tries.

3 Likes

He needs a more “feel good” mask, then it will all be OK.

4 Likes

doom_blow_horn

21 Likes

The real problem with Doom is one they didn’t mention in the video: He’s too campy, yet is serious. Luthor is non-campy (except for the big green supersuit era) and serious. Joker is campy and definitely not serious in most incarnations (and fails when he is – I’m looking at you, Leto). Those work. But Doom monologues contstantly, makes grand gestures… and looks goofy if he does so, yet he’s deadly serious.

Monologuing and internal dialog make sense in a comic book, much less so on screen. That’s why MCU movies have succeeded with things like “Man in Chair” – somebody to be talking to – even if it’s the AI voice of Tony Stark’s suit. A solo movie without a supporting cast is hard to make work (The Batman almost got it). I’ll rant about the hazards of filming teams some other time (X-Men Apocalypse probably the worst use of a team, when it’s really just a Mystique movie).

6 Likes

Victor Von Doom is not a doctor! He was kicked out of college before completing his degree! He has not earned the honorific!

6 Likes

I always wondered why Johnny Storm never simply went supernova and cooked Doom inside his metal suit. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

If you’re going to make Doom work, you have to fully commit, as this video says. No half-measures. Eastern European Royalty! Accent! Magic! Super-science! Ranting! Raving! This guy has to be three steps ahead of everyone, so that when his plot fails, he still gets something he wanted, and lives to fight another day.

Marvel has built a wide-ranging cinematic universe, where anything they want to do, they can do it. Why not give us maximum Doom, Marvel? It’s the only way it will work.

12 Likes

Fools! No person can convincingly portray Doom, for Doom is unique. Doombots are the only way to even approach his magnificence, but only Doom can create a Doombot.

11 Likes

giphy (2)

20 Likes

Just remember ALL CAPS when you spell the man’s name.

Wait, wrong DOOM. My bad.

2 Likes

the-doom-song

17 Likes

I’d really like to see the famous Dr. Doom/Squirrel Girl battle on the big screen.

15 Likes

… unless we count Darth Vader :wink:

11 Likes

He completed his doctorate when his credits transferred to University of Latervia.

6 Likes

Magical nuclear powered titanium alloy battle suit.
Doom’s suit is in terms of tech level at least on par with Stark’s Iron Man armor, plus he’s got the whole magic thing backing it up. Doom is also the sort of guy who would for sure take into account that one of his primary opponents is Johnny Storm and be sure he could handle the heat.

7 Likes
2 Likes

He’s the head of state in Latveria, I’m sure he’s got a few honorary doctorates.

7 Likes

The best way to torment Doctor Doom is to say stuff like “Boy, I bet that suit gets really itchy. How do you scratch yourself while you’re wearing it? Oh wait sorry I’ve got an itch on my shoulder right now… [skritch scritch] oooohhh yeah that’s the stuff.”

7 Likes