Kevin Feige wants the Fantastic Four to be a major pillar in the MCU

Originally published at: Kevin Feige wants the Fantastic Four to be a major pillar in the MCU | Boing Boing

1 Like

The Arrested Development take on the characters was pretty entertaining.

thing

17 Likes

I’d be up for it. The Roger Corman, Tim Story and Josh Trank films arguably failed for lack of trying. I just hope they capture the ever-lovin’ blue-eyed Thing’s personality better this time. More CGI and less rubber suits. I’m still hopeful the MCU can dig themselves out of the meh slump for that phase. :smile:

7 Likes

It’ll be interesting to see what the MCU version is like - I kind of feel like it’s going to make the MCU weirder. For some reason the FF just feel at least a little bit weirder and goofier than the characters the MCU has made use of so far.

6 Likes

Weirder than the talking tree who is best friends with a space raccoon, though?

15 Likes

I mean - yeah, kind of. Weird space stuff is acceptable to audiences because… spaaaace. A talking tree is one thing - a talking tree from space, well, that’s something else entirely. (Looks like the “quantum” realm is more or less the same, so there can be, for instance, a MODOK there.) And the MCU has them mostly partitioned off, so they can be goofy without it impacting the rest of the MCU. Whereas FF is four people exposed to “cosmic rays” that give them the power of the four elements, and they have to exist on Earth, with the more grounded characters, as the major pillar holding everything else up.

4 Likes

The four elements – earth, fire, energy, and rubber. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

9 Likes

There was another one in 2006

3 Likes

Aunt Petunia’s Blue eyed SkinnedBoy has laid some solid groundwork for Ben Grimm; so long as they get the voice right. Maybe this is Harvey Fierstein’s chance to play a hero; I love his gravelly voice. Jon Favreau has a warmth in his delivery that could suit the character. Or, maybe, Harvey Keitel for a harder-edged Grimm?

2 Likes

“Where were you guys when the Chitauri were invading NY? Thanks for nothing!!”

6 Likes

sword blade GIF by BBQ Films

4 Likes

There should be at least one FF movie that isn’t godawfully bad for that.

(Trick question, there is one! The Incredibles.)

9 Likes

Maybe they could use some of Sergio Aragones’ approach.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ComicBook/SergioAragonesMassacresMarvel

5 Likes

Oh, we’re headed into another MCU phase?

To me, that just says “Ok gunns for hire, the next batch of movies will have this something as a central theme. Do not colour outside those lines.”

And isn’t every DCU/MCU effort lauded as a redefinition of excellence and sure to please the crowds. Directors hype up their polished turds, are promised more movies… then leave the project because of creative differences.

At some point it would be refreshing if they could make a movie without insinuating that film is integral to the fabric of all storytelling for the next 5 years. Make a good movie and stop with the chess moves. Don’t make another Dr Strange Inception just to introduce some forgettable demographic-pleasing future limited series character who won’t be seen again for 2 years.

1 Like

Funny you should say that…

Who the hell greenlighted She-Hulk, the Ant-Man movies, and Ms. Marvel? Feige has lost whatever mojo he once had–a couple of lucky casting decisions and a few–a few–decent scripts is apparently what was behind the Marvel success story. Take those away, it wanders in the wilderness like DC.

I’ve had this question for a while. I understand the role the FF4 plays in the marvel pantheon. But does anyone actually genuinely like the FF4? I’ve met X-men fans, Avenger’s fans, Deadpool fans, but I’ve never met anyone who says “FF4 is my series”. Reed Richards is sort of essential in other books when shit hits the fan and they need to check in for advice from the world’s smartest dad, and the Thing can go and be sad about stuff, and the Storms are, you know… there too. But is that enough?

1 Like

The writers clearly started taking some liberties once they had settled on the four elements theme - air being turning invisible… and force shields?

I spotted him in the first trailer: “Hey, that’s a MODOK!” It’s telling that that’s where they introduce the character.

1 Like

Yes, please make a FF movie that’s good. I won’t be holding my breath.

1 Like