Will there ever be a good Fantastic Four adaptation?

I’ve noticed that the Hulk movies have had different explanations for the Hulk than the comics, and the MCU in particular has been rather… vague about it, because “gamma rays” as an explanation is obviously dumb. But yeah, a “some weird shit happened in space” explanation is the least problematic aspect of the FF for a movie version, because every aspect of them is hyper comic bookish. The more you start grounding them in reality, the less they are the FF.

3 Likes

They’ve been having an adventure. In space. It doesn’t need to be much different from why Captain Marvel hardly shows up in any of the Earth-based MCU action. Maybe they were off having space adventures for years before Tony was busy trying not to die in a desert cave. The FF come back years later and whoa!

But they do need a decent story that has a caring family at the heart of it.

7 Likes

a family theme would be good for them. And Sue Storm was always matronly (meant positive) and not so much Jessica Alba…

2 Likes

The current MCU iteration of the Hulk is he was working for the military on yet another attempt to re-create the super-soldier serum and in a test involving said experimental serum he also gets bombarded with gamma rays rather than the ‘vita rays’ that were used on Steve Rodgers. It’s turtles all the way down man.

3 Likes

So, what you are saying is that Wes Anderson should direct the Fantastic Four movie?

Actually…

11 Likes

And his math is off; 1961 is not “close to 80 years”.

4 Likes

Modern Fantastic Family.

Acting Modern Family GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

We’d all watch it.

Wait, no, I just saw your other comment, I want to change my answer!

The Life Fantastic With Reed Richards!!

14 Likes

Now you’re reminding me of No Ordinary Family…a one-season wonder. :grimacing:

7 Likes

I never heard of that before but it even had The Thing in it :rofl:

3 Likes

Unlike a fair amount of folks here, I tend not to make such declarations as if I can somehow see the future.

After all, almost anything is possible… if not very probable.

4 Likes

Change space to the Negative Zone. And make Annihilus the main villain. Avoid Doom for a while. Marvel’s real strength in their movies is casting and following the comics (often scene by scene). I have no doubt that their FF movie will be decent.

5 Likes

Because of its bad rap I didn’t watch the 2005 adaptation until a couple of years ago; I thought it was much better than its reputation.

2 Likes

Have their space adventures take place using relativistic slower than light travel and they could have been away for a long time for Earth and not long for them, so they could have left earth in the sixties, explaining why they have not been around and giving us a sixties version of the Captain America fish out of water jokes

5 Likes

judging from the responses here I conclude:

Yes, there will be a good Fantastic Four Adaptation.

3 Likes

11 Likes

At the risk of sounding naive, i really do have faith that Marvel can pull this off. I mean, who though Guardians would be as good as it was? FF and X-men were my intro to comics back in the early '70s, and i have loved them through it all. Faith.

12 Likes

Four is just way too many people to keep track of. /s

2 Likes

I say thee yea. In Feige I trust. Since 1979, my favorite comic characters have been Iron Man (the first Michelinie/JR Jr./Layton run was brilliant and underrated) and Captain America (the truncated Stern/Byrne run is still one of the best runs on that title). If those two characters can go from being comic book 3rd stringers to being the two most interesting and inspiring characters in the MCU, then there’s no reason to believe that the Fantastic Four, in the right hands, can be utterly … fantastic. I love the FF, and I am looking forward with high hopes that Marvel Studios can make them the next hot thing in the cinematic world. (Feige, if you’re listening, lean hard into the Kirby aesthetic.)

5 Likes

If they do one in media res, maybe. The origins are too dated/Cold War based to modernize. Skip them and move on.

I’d watch it.

10 Likes