Will you miss the headphone jack?

Apparently, the battery in an iPhone 5S at least is replaceable for $75 and 45 minutes at the Apple Store. So there’s that.

What exactly was the viable replacement for person to person file transfer in 1996 again?

2 Likes

yeah, big batteries are the tits. I only charge mine twice a week.

4 Likes

I just run my headphones out of my shirt collar. Works fine.

1 Like

I used to run earbuds down my sleeve when I was at school. I’m certain that most of my teachers knew what I was doing but didn’t care as long as I did the work and paid attention when they were speaking.

There was also that one time when Carlisle United’s fate was dependant on a football match between two other teams that had been rearranged to a weekday afternoon after crowd violence. My maths teacher told everyone to do exercises from a book and said that we were not to make it obvious we were listening to the match on the radio. Is it still disobedience when the teacher lets us do it?

7 Likes

That was never going to happen. Hell, it’ll take at least that long for the next iPhone to hit any kind of critical mass adoption, and even that’s optimistic, they have neither the growth or vendor market share advantage of their competitors. I see no reason to expect them to take the lead on these things. Anyone who tells you different actually believes the marketing hype.

1 Like

What about just buying a lightning to 3.5 mm adapter cable? Or get a new car, whatever.

The floppy removal was way more defensible. They knew that nobody used the floppy. External floppy drives were available and they were inexpensive.

They might have data to show that nobody uses the headphone jack right now, but I’m skeptical because I’m one of those people that use headphones every day.

2 Likes

Apple’s move is boneheaded/greedy.

That said, Bluetooth has come a long way since AM radio quality.

It’s not the only way to get real fidelity over Bluetooth, but apt-x works nicely and has a handy list of all the devices that support it.

That’s fine; if they decide to go all-wireless, and find a way to do so without noticeable drop in sound quality, great. Thus far, however, they’ve been very clear that they’re pushing Lightning as a new audio standard for iPhone to save space, improve quality, and offer powered headphones that wouldn’t need batteries.

1 Like

Interesting points. But in its defense, I’ve never had a problem with one.

1 Like

Oh, there’s “literally no way” to provide a better signal to the headphones? That’s fascinating.

The thing is, you’re factually wrong. Lightning can indeed improve audio quality markedly. I suggest reading more about it. Hope that helps.

I similarly use a cheapass Bluetooth headsetty thing which was a pain initially when I paired it but has kept being attached for a long time now. We are very happy together.
I do agree though that Bluetooth is shit because I had to change cars a few times recently because someone thought it was funny to hit my own car in the rear. Every car works differently and all of them suck. Also, it is really dangerous to fiddle with and rage at a bluetooth setup while driving.

2 Likes

it depends what you mean by ‘exact same’, you can have multiple different mp3 encodings, but you just need a single decoder. same for aac and similar codecs. so all you really need is to have aac and mp3, and you’ve got 95% of the users covered. flac would be nice too, but that would probably need the extra bandwidth of bluetooth 5 (not sure). also, if you’re transcoding from flac or wav, it doesn’t really matter what codec you use, just use whatever lossy codec sounds best.

1 Like

Yes. 

1 Like

theres so many posts in here youd think it was about ketchup or knife sharpening

13 Likes

There’s a bunch of great little Hi-Res music players that I can simply fill up by dropping the folders in there and no wicked OS messes up the track list order

Any you care to recommend?

cheap-ish (40-50$): Xduoo X2, Benjie S05 (on Amazon sold as AGPTek M20)
around 100$ Fiio X1, Xduoo X3 (has to card trays, theoretically you could put 2x200GB cards in there)

3 Likes

Nice, thank you!

I have a pair of Sony earbuds, spent about what you did but in US dollars. I’m quite pleased with the sound. The problem with them, and I believe corded earbuds in general, is that I can hear my feet hitting the pavement while I walk. Same thing if and when the cord moves, for whatever reason. This is why I’m thinking of switching to Bluetooth earbuds anyway.

OTOH I have an old iPod Classic that would hold way more music than my phone, if I ever restore it (I dropped it a while back and now the hard drive is broken). It will only work with corded earphones.

I also have a nice pair of Audio-Technica headphones, the over-the-ear type, but my ears get hot as hell when I use them. I haven’t tried, but I doubt that an iPod or iPhone jack would power them, anyway. (Also have to use an adapter in the first place because they have a 1/4" plug)

2 Likes