Wisconsin Supreme Court declines to hear Trump's "case"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/03/wisconsin-supreme-court-declines-to-hear-trumps-case.html

13 Likes

30 Likes

26 Likes

“This is good news because now we’re on the fast track to a favorable SCOTUS ruling!” scream the Trumpists who actually have no working knowledge of the legal system.

37 Likes

Wisconsin Supreme Court declines to hear Turmp’s “case”

See, personally, my reaction would be “please go on, I’m dying to hear this”.

'Sprobably why I’m not on any supreme courts of note

14 Likes

43 Likes

Hopefully Loser McLossington, the losingest loser in Loserville will not get the message and keep on trying, further compounding his status as a loser I know it’s what he’ll want to be remembered for…

18 Likes

Give that man a damn raise, that was beautiful

15 Likes

“Dissenting conservative justices said the decision would forever “stain” the outcome of the election.”

As they are not commenting on something legal, maybe they should STFU?

17 Likes

Wisconsin elects their supreme court (as do many other states). The fact the decision to decline hearing the case wasn’t 9-0 should send a strong message to Wiconsinites for who needs to be voted off the panel.

25 Likes

They’re gonna bust in SCOTUS’ door and demand to be heard! That’s how it works, ya know?

8 Likes

This is scary, but reading the AP article its not clear if the dissenting judges were really eager to just toss out votes. In fact it reads like they were opposed to that-- the case seems to be about skipping the lower courts for expediency, and the court ruled against that-- the dissenting judges were in favor of hearing the case but still questioned the very idea of tossing out thousands of votes based solely on the Trump teams interpretation of the law.

That’s the big problem in their strategy, they want to just invalidate thousands of votes, and only in places where Biden got big numbers, so they look for loopholes, they find fault in some regulation and use that as an excuse, like saying “the batter didn’t touch 3rd base when he rounded the bases after his walk-off grand slam, so NONE of the runs count.”

Didn’t Giuliani at one point say something like Trump voters were the one being disenfranchised. . . because there were more Biden votes?

9 Likes

Was this the court case that involved Trump’s team demanding video from a vote counting location… in Michigan? I can’t imagine why the court wasn’t going along with it.

2 Likes

No. This was the case that while still being a Hail Mary pass, was at least competently constructed and attempted to address real-world facts. It was a reach, but it was put together by reasonably good lawyers with a grasp on reality. It was the only attempt the Trump team had left that was worth worrying about.

5 Likes

That’s correct. Wisconsin state laws require election challenges to initiate in lower courts. For some reason Trumps legal team felt it was good to try to skip to step 2. The ruling was “goto 1”.

6 Likes

Mostly because the lower courts are responsible for evaluating evidence for admissibility and relevance. Trump’s team have no evidence which meets either criteria.

7 Likes

He much have some fascinating insights on the 2016 and 2000 elections. /s

3 Likes

My understanding of the Wisconsin suit is that it is trying to retroactively discard votes that were cast in accordance with regular ballot-collecting practices because state law does not specifically provide for those methods of collecting ballots. The same methods were used in 2016, so this suit, if successful, would open the door for the revocation of the 2016 results* in Wisconsin, as well. These are the kinds of suits that the campaign had the opportunity to file before the election (and are similar to other suits that were filed before the election in Pennsylvania for example), but the lower courts are not likely to take much interest in the case unless the campaign can prove that ballot-collecting methods were applied discriminatorily, which they are not really even alleging.
*Of course, the point about 2016 would be moot, so the courts wouldn’t actually consider that.

2 Likes

Uh, in that case, only the batter’s run is disqualified, rit?

1 Like

“FAILING Donald Trump is a miserable LOSER! SAD!”

1 Like