WKRP turkey giveaway

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/26/wkrp-turkey-giveaway.html

12 Likes

Venus: Les! Are you okay?

Les: I don’t know. A man and his two children tried to kill me. After the turkeys hit the pavement, the crowd kind of scattered but, some of them tried to attack me! I tried to jam myself into a phone booth. Then Mr. Carlson had the helicopter land in the middle of the parking lot. I guess he thought he could save the day by turning the rest of the turkeys loose. It gets pretty strange after that.

Venus: “Now” it gets strange.

Les:I really don’t know how to describe it. It was like the turkeys mounted a counter-attack. It was almost as if they were… organized!

15 Likes

Wild turkeys can take off from the ground surprisingly well. Dropped from 2000 feet… dunno.

8 Likes

No Thanksgiving is complete without watching this. The small touches are what make it, like Les’s excruciatingly slow reading of the banner and Carlson saying “it was a lot of fun” when asked about riding in the helicopter.

13 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving, Boing Boing. Don’t let the turkeys get you down! (I thought they could fly!)

5 Likes

Possibly the best few minutes of comedy television to come out of the 20th century. I am not overstating it at all.

14 Likes

I don’t remember watching that episode before, but when I saw the quote I figured they were going to drop frozen turkeys rather than live ones, resulting in even more carnage a la the Chicken Gun episode of MythBusters (as revisited.)

4 Likes

It’s good, but it’s not Four Candles. :wink:

4 Likes

Remember to save the liver!

4 Likes

This scene is about the only thing I remember from that whole series. I’m sure there were other bits of the series hat were funny, but this one scene really is a classic.

5 Likes

This episode will never NOT be funny. I’ve always thought it was one of the greatest half hours in sitcom history, and it breathed life into a series that hadn’t started well and was already in ratings trouble.

“As god is my witness… I thought turkeys could fly.”

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.