WKRP's fantastic Thanksgiving turkey giveaway

[Permalink]

3 Likes

Ah, the comfort of Thanksgiving Traditions…

As something of a Thanksgiving unicorn chaser, I will submit nipper the corn lovin’ cat:

Toledo Blade - Google News Archive Search

3 Likes

Best line on television EVER:

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!
15 Likes

I don’t know if it’s just me, but you know how you sometimes watch something from your early years and you think, “yeah, that just wasn’t that funny.”? Well, that didn’t happen to me. :smile:

4 Likes

I’ve long thought it strange that we needed a tape of laughing people to tell us when to laugh. But they drowned out a few of the lines, which really defeats the purpose… I suppose.

Agreed. This is one of the few examples of 70s or 80s TV that has stood the test of time.

And on a sidenote, I recently learned that the lyrics in their theme song are gibberish. They recorded it intending to come up with actual lyrics but liked it so left it as is.

2 Likes

[quote=“wrybread, post:6, topic:47071, full:true”]Agreed. This is one of the few examples of 70s or 80s TV that has stood the test of time.[/quote]WKRP, The Dick Van Dyke Show, SCTV, and Monty Python are the only ones I can even think of off the top of my head. Most pre-90s TV just doesn’t work well, anymore.

this. a few years ago I attempted what I thought would be a straightforward google search for the lyrics and went down a rabbit-hole that explained how it all came to pass. at the time, the credits were always spoken over by the local affiliate’s announcements, so that was a factor in not bothering to re-record it. also, the guy they hired was a journeyman entertainment songwriter who went on to write and sing “Pac-Man Fever,” same voice on both. And now, you’re hearing it inside your head. And now, you’re saying to yourself “huh, that is the same voice.” And now, you’re audibly saying “Damn it, Noah, get out of my mind!” edit: follow the reply(s) for correction

There are fan music videos on youtube where they guess at the lyrics that are funny as hell, you should check 'em out.

2 Likes

I just shared this on my younger sister’s Facebook feed – she’s 31. She loved this show when we were younger (re-runs, I would think), so it always makes me think of her. I remember this episode!

Fuck. I remember this from it’s first run.

Guess I’m officially old now!

2 Likes

[quote=“noahdjango, post:8, topic:47071, full:true”]at the time, the credits were always spoken over by the local affiliate’s announcements, so that was a factor in not bothering to re-record it.[/quote]You should specify that this was the end credits - the opening credits are actually a song about the main character (Andy Travis).

[quote=“noahdjango, post:8, topic:47071, full:true”]also, the guy they hired was a journeyman entertainment songwriter who went on to write and sing “Pac-Man Fever,” same voice on both.[/quote]Nope. “Pac-Man Fever” is by Buckner & Garcia, but the WKRP end theme is by Jim Ellis. (The opening theme is by Wells/Wilson/Carlisle so it’s not that, either.)

1 Like

Buckner & Garcia wikipedia

The duo also wrote the lyrics for extra verses of an extended version of the WKRP in Cincinnati theme song in 1982.

somehow, either someone else took that to mean the end theme and told it to me wrong, or my mind remembered it wrong when I wrote that post, but I knew there was a Buckner and Garcia connection somewhere in there. good catch, though, thanks. You gotta admit, it sure sounds like the same voice on both the end theme and PMF, so my synapses got crossed I guess.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.