Woman, 107, recovers from coronavirus

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/10/woman-107-recovers-from-coro.html

Some centenarians have survived coronavirus

10 Likes

Thatā€™s hardly surprising, especially if they donā€™t have any preexisting conditions that puts them at risk. Agile itself is not the risk.

2 Likes

Usually these types of stories are accompanied by a side note stating that the person in question drinks 3 swigs of schnaps a day or something

15 Likes

I had hoped there was some report saying she smoked filter-less Camels and swallowed several gallons of draft beer daily. I donā€™t do the Camels, but do try the draft schedule.

Iā€™m counting on these old folks to set my example.

5 Likes

If you persist to a century your damn well not letting a virus get in your way.

2 Likes

ā€œCoronavirus, pah. Iā€™ve made it through the Spanish flu when I was in kindergarden.ā€

9 Likes

It would be incredible to think she survived both events!

4 Likes
7 Likes

It would be incredible if she survived because she survived spanish flu.

3 Likes

Actually, yes, age very much is considered a risk with this virus. In fact, this woman is nearly TWICE the age at which someone is considered to be ā€˜at riskā€™ for serious complications and/or death from covid-19.

7 Likes

Is it really age, or is age merely a predictor of comorbidity?

Letā€™s see: your telomeres shrink, your cells do not regenerate as quickly, some donā€™t regenerate at all but instead slowly disintegrate, sleep is affected (which affects everything else), etc. etc.

4 Likes

Can you explain in laymanā€™s terms what shorter telomeres have to do with risk of more severe outcome of a COVID19 infection?

Can you maybe point to a study where comorbidity and age are differentiated?

I remember this report that cites a study by Italyā€™s health authority, claiming that 99% of deaths had other illnesses (3 weeks old).

Granted, age itself would have an impact on recovery, but Iā€™m curious how much.

She must have really done something to scare the shit out of the Grim Reaper last time he came by to check in on her.

2 Likes

I am away from my real computer for the weekend, so no, I canā€™t do a deep dive for you into all the ways that human cells and systems break down and donā€™t repair (or at least donā€™t fully repair) with age.

6 Likes

Nevertheless, good for her.

:+1:t5:

2 Likes

All those Spanish Flu antibodies made her invincible!

Kind of like this guy

The man Robert Oppenheimer could not kill!!!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.