Woman, 29, posed as 15-year-old, enrolled in high school, and went to class for days before being charged

She was a college graduate.

9 Likes

She already had an education.

Shin graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and a minor in Chinese in 2019.

@danimagoo

coca-cola cola GIF

7 Likes

She might have an unhealthy interest in teenage boys, or teenage girls.

1 Like

Wait, wasn’t this person a friend of @frauenfelder or something?

Yep:

3 Likes

Yes. This doco and everything else in the series is well worth the watch time.
Errol Morris uses a ‘Pepper’s ghost’ mirror rig to film his interview subjects - the effect is that the interviewee is both looking at the interviewer and straight down the lens to the audience at the same time.

2 Likes

Huh. I’ve seen this, but didn’t know that Errol Morris used that technique. I wonder if he did in The Fog of War? I found that to be a deeply affecting film, not least of which was because you’re looking right into McNamara’s eyes the whole time. Somehow deeply unsettling, empathetic and damning all at once.

1 Like

Yes. Morris refers to his rig as the “Interrotron.”

https://www.errolmorris.com/content/eyecontact/interrotron.html

5 Likes

The weirdest version of this story that I know of involves a woman who had people helping her out by acting as her parents. To my knowledge it is not at all clear what they got out of taking part in the fraud.

Oslo police said the Czech parents of the real Adam are believed to have helped Skrlova deceive child care authorities in Norway claiming she was their son.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s appropriate to toss that speculation out there without any evidence or indication that that was her motive.

As @VeronicaConnor said, you couldn’t pay me to repeat my high school experience. But that’s not the case with everyone. For some people, high school was literally the high point of their lives and they might give anything to recapture that. And it doesn’t have to be anything remotely sexual.

5 Likes

Some deeply prismatic aspects in this film that t found pretty disturbing when I saw it again recently after many years

3 Likes

@Brainspore beat you to it.

I agree with the sentiment about adults returning to get a GED, or to brush up on skills that they missed or weren’t taught in HS, and that we would should avoid stigmatizing anyone who tries to improve their educational achievements.

Others have pointed out that this is likely not the case in this situation.

1 Like

I missed that post. Oops.

There’s so many problematic parts of this film. The teacher’s career is ruined after he was outed in the newspaper article. He even said that him having feelings for her wasn’t suddenly made ok because he was now allowed to date her. Then there was the subplot of Drew Barrymore’s adult brother (played by David Arquette) deciding to relive his glory days at the same high school and subsequently dating a minor. During the requisite prom scene, his underage date makes it a point to say how she’s a gymnast while flexing her leg over her head. Ick.

Yet at the end, he’s able to become an assistant coach to the baseball team (rather than banned from setting foot near the school ever again), and Drew Barrymore’s character gets the guy (even though he’ll never work as a teacher again).

The 90s were weird.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.