Woman "accidentally" spent the night in a mattress store

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/06/woman-accidentally-spends.html

She’s lucky that none of the mattresses woke up during the night.

11 Likes

Really curious what the mattress was.

2 Likes

if she didn’t buy this mattress that would be a shame. i mean, that has got to be a really good mattress.

5 Likes

This says more about the stores staff than it does the customer. They can’t exactly press trespassing charges against a person they never asked to leave.

20 Likes

Missouri!

And yet when I try to “test drive” the toilets on display at Home Depot they are not so forgiving. Unfair.

26 Likes

(RIP Gahan.)

17 Likes

Let’s be honest: we’ve all sometimes imagined doing this. :smiley:

6 Likes

With the cost of “custom” mattresses these days, I’m surprised she didn’t get hit with an AirBnB charge.

9 Likes

I used to work at a large retail bookstore–sweeping all the sections for stragglers was a nightly routine. I would think a mattress store (which doesn’t usually have high shelves and walls) would be even easier. Then again, maybe it’s easy to get complacent in a store like that.

7 Likes

They didn’t want to press charges, so why call the cops in the first place?

(And I reckon we’ve seen this story here on BB before, but can’t be arsed to check.)

Not after watching Chopping Mall. Security robots ruin everything! :cry:

5 Likes

For sure! When I was a kid I had a fantasy about spending the night in a department store.

3 Likes

Wasn’t that the plot of Corduroy?
There’s also From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

7 Likes

I want to know exactly how it went down, like, was she still sleeping there when they opened the next day? I mean, who doesn’t wake up at least once during the night? Surely there was a way out, isn’t that a fire code thing?

3 Likes

Police often hold back details when discussing cases with the press. In addition to the information posted, I have heard from reliable sources that the first porridge was too hot and the second was too cold.

15 Likes

Seems like a reasonable precaution to have them on hand when you find a person on your property who isn’t supposed to be there and might well be someone with either criminal intentions or mental illness.

3 Likes

Reasonable precautions do sometimes get people killed. I agree that in the face of the unknown it may be sensible to call them, but equally some would say it would have been sensible to engage tentatively first. But then I don’t live in a society which thinks it is normal for every Tom, Dick, Harry, Jack or Jill to go about the place with lethal weapons about their person, so I guess my view is biased.

4 Likes

It’s possible that she called the police when she woke up and discovered that she was locked in.

Either way, cool PR story!