Woman adds vaginal yeast to sourdough starter, Internet flips out

MGTOW? Ha! Really? LOL

2 Likes

IGOR - the original switch hitter!

2 Likes

Chances are the yeasts were in the bread anyway. Omnis cellula e cellula. If it’s on her, there are probably wild spores in the environment. If I made sourdough bread, my culture would probably have some in it. It’s likely unavoidable. This species probably does contribute to the flavor though. It metabolizes sucrose into acid. People need to grow up. Bread is a product of fermentation, and fermentation is universally a nasty process. It’s basically letting food rot.

Womankind mourns the loss, I’m sure.

12 Likes

I totally thought that link was going to go to this brew:

Strangely this did not provoke a negative reaction from the internet that I ever heard of.

11 Likes

Yes, I’m crying in my beer over here. Beer made with yeast found in someone’s beard.

Okay, that’s a lie, I never got my hands on any of that. But that is a thing that happened.

13 Likes

Funny that eh? :wink:

1 Like

23 Likes

A ringing endorsement.

It would be an equal opportunity offender for sure. Here’s an idea: maybe we could stop being creepy with bodily secretions. Just spitballing… oh.

1 Like

Loaf of loath?

2 Likes

13 Likes

I can’t tell if you’re actually a misogynist or just yanking everyone’s chain…

13 Likes

Ahaaaa, you scooped me by a minute :smiley:

There was a little bit of “ewwwww,” but I don’t remember seeing any personal attacks on the brewmaster. And they put the stuff up for sale and . . . people bought it. So.

3 Likes

Pfffffff. Nobody tricked anybody else into eating the bread or drinking the beer unawares . . . because that would be creepy. Maybe people who are worried about things other people do that don’t affect them could stop.

10 Likes

Except that they did, unaware themselves. Unless they used a very well characterized starting culture and worked in highly sterile environment. Otherwise some cross-contamination is pretty much inevitable.

A lot of common things suddenly become “creepy” just because people become aware of them.

People are weird.

13 Likes

And then you can get into any of the spontaneously-fermented beers, which are rife with all kinds of airborne fungi and bacteria and are not heated after the fermentation. What you get in your glass, in other words, is a live culture of hundreds of species of things most people can’t pronounce, spread across several genera. Lactobacillus, Brettanomyces, Pediococcus, and Saccharomyces just to start. Basically, dilute and unbaked sourdough culture. Delicious.

2 Likes

Well, i’d eat it.

I mean the bread. The bread!

8 Likes

I did on the site I originally saw it on. I’m not a hypocrite whatever else you think. And by the way I’m questioning the taste (npi) of the story in general. I’ve made no personal attacks on the experimenter though I do see some who have.

I just got a funny look for chortling very loudly. Well played :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah well, if I’d ever made you dinner (which is vanishingly unlikely, chances are I’d have scratched my balls at some point. And it would be delicious).

4 Likes