Woman arrested after $2500 worth of Stanley Quenchers found in car

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/22/woman-arrested-after-2500-worth-of-stanley-quenchers-found-in-car.html

2 Likes

Someone really enjoyed decorating that police car with the mugs.

I don’t get the rage. They’re just a more ugly, oversized, reusable mug than the several I have already, most of which were free.

21 Likes

Should be set to music (~REM The End of the World As We Know It): tulip bulbs, trading cards, beanie babies, pet rocks, nft apes, cryptocurrency…and now “quenchers”

FOMO and/or “It makes no sense, unless you firmly believe that you can sell it for more than you paid for it” (“but but, you can’t sell! it might go up waay more in another month!”)

8 Likes

What on earth is up with the media blitz of Stanley mugs these past few days? Like, I have never heard about these (I use the old standby “cups” and “mugs”). I swear I’ve heard about these g-d Stanley mugs seven or eight times in the past two days. Why?

3 Likes

We just change this bit in the Matrix and the media companies will switch to reporting on people wearing duffel bags as shirts:
sci-fi matrix GIF

10 Likes

Man, that a terrible thirst.

2 Likes

I haven’t read the article, but from what I understand, that’s like three of these mugs, right?

(j/k I read the article)

2 Likes

Not far off. Right now it’s all the rage for morons to be hating on trans people. It seems like just a couple years ago that all the morons were hollering about muslims, and now we don’t hear anything about that. A few more years it will be something else.*

*Note: the hate has always been there, but there seems to be a cycle where hating on a particular group gets special attention and goes mainstream. The upside is that the hate on any particular group ends, the downside is that some other group gets the marquee hate treatment for a few years.

3 Likes

FOMO

They’re 2024’s Beanie Babies then. I know my mom still has giant tubs of them that she can’t even donate because there’s too many.

2 Likes

It’s a trend on TikTok, and because we’re in the worst timeline, apparently, what a bunch of idiots do on TikTok is newsworthy. Probably because it caused enough of a stir at certain retailers to draw attention from the real world.

7 Likes

That’s weird because Facebook keeps telling me it’s legal to shoplift in California and any other democrat run city.

4 Likes

Oh, it is for those people. But not from the nice store with the expensive cups… /S

1 Like

hope they washed them!

3 Likes

People are going crazy over… travel mugs? This culture continues to baffle me.

Yeah, my only knowledge of these come from the two BB articles.

Oh. [groans] Ohhh. Well, that explains a) why it’s so stupid and b) why I’d never heard about them.

4 Likes

Who Knows Idk GIF
Don’t get all the hoopla. Never even heard of these things until a day or two ago.

4 Likes

thirsty
Ack, here you go @euansmith

Coca Cola Coke GIF by LIMESODA Interactive Marketing GmbH

Tee hee!

4 Likes

Nice mugshot.

6 Likes

Understand Captain America GIF

2 Likes

https://www.inc.com/ali-donaldson/this-marketing-pro-got-crocs-on-every-celebrity-from-bad-bunny-to-justin-bieber-now-hes-the-one-behind-the-stanley-tumbler-you-cant-escape.html

2 Likes