Woman arresting for beating up boy using drone on beach

Another outrageous thing nobody has mentioned. The kid calls the cops and when they show up they’re all set to arrest him until he shows them the footage proving that the lady was full of shit and assaulted him unprovoked. If he didn’t have the foresight to record everything he’d be in jail right now.

18 Likes

Sorry man, I just Googled her. I did it because she was in hiking shorts, boots, a loose shirt, and sunglasses - on the beach. That’s the outfit she supposedly didn’t want photographed from 50ft up.

Also, I didn’t write “Hey, here’s the woman we’re all mad at,” I wrote “Hey, look what I found. Apparently Ms. Mears is a 24 yo actress.” I was amused. You put your own spin on it.

P.S. I just got done writing up even more on an actual sexism topic.

3 Likes

So she wants to do live theatre only, no recording devices in the theatre, and she’s hoping she doesn’t get too famous, I imagine.

3 Likes

People need to know: If you’re gonna be an asshole in real life it may follow you to the internet. It would behoove people to make the sensible choice of not using their real name on the interwebs.

There’s few things more offensive to me than people insisting their misunderstanding of the law must be obeyed.

6 Likes

Huz-zah. Good for him for documenting everything as she started to go off the rails.

Photography in public places? Not a crime.
Assault? Crime.

9 Likes

You are going to have to be more specific to details as to the violation that you are referring to here. Because the argument I hear from your user seems to be backing itself into a rather small, dark corner.

1 Like

Concern trolling? I’m not even sure what you think I was trying to say there, but I suspect you’ve grossly misinterpreted it.

A violation of personal space and social norms, is all. Shitty behavior, but nothing that would remotely warrant the response it got, even if the accusation was true.

Seems like she has anger issues more than she has perv issues.

5 Likes

It is legal. Period. No “may or may not” about it. It is a public place where you have no expectation of privacy. Public bathroom? Expectation of privacy. Public street? No.

Of course, you are objecting to images of people that look like this:

Oh, wait, in that last one that guy is almost recognizable. He must feel so violated.

Look, she asked him to stop, he did. He was packing up to go home and she assaulted him. Photography? Not a crime.

8 Likes

Social norms? Because the camera wasn’t in his hand like all of these?

1 Like

And the assault occurred when the threats occurred. The physical attack wasn’t assault. It was battery. Assuming the allegations are true.

1 Like

Correct thing to do was ask him to stop, if he objected then call the cops to ask for advice and/or assistance. Attacking somebody because you disagree with what they’re doing… that’s police work.

Not surprised the cops sided with him at all, they had absolutely no option.

The assumption is demonstrably false. Here’s the video from the quad. At no point are any people shown more than a few pixels high.

Before you make any more knee-jerk assumptions about what was happening, think for a second what you’d assume if the genders were reversed. What if this had been a 17 year old girl flying a quad at the beach, and a 24 year old man had attacked her and ripped her shirt off? Would you immediately conclude that she’s a pervert and clearly in the wrong?

13 Likes

The footage from the quad has been posted a few times in this thread. Please actually watch it and explain to me how a quad flying 50-100ft above a public beach is violating anybody’s “personal space and social norms”.

4 Likes

Welcome to the generation of people who drone-perv safely from the comfort of their cars.

This woman … er … over-reacted. Totally in the wrong. Has she her entire life been assaulting people with binoculars, cameras, eyeglasses, telescopes, monocles, even … naked eyes?

I have to say, if I go to the beach, I expect people to see me. There is an issue around posting perv-footage online, but is that all resolved as illegal? Not that I’m planning on doing it.

3 Likes

She can ask all she wants, but he doesn’t have to do anything she asks him.

She, according to more coverage elsewhere, called the police 3 times and dude perving with a helicopter camera wasn’t real pressing.

According to him the police were all over him at first, because she claimed he attacked her.
They watched the video and took her into custody.

We have a problem in society, and its kinda big. We assume the worst about all strangers and people who are different. The media is filled with stories about worst case scenarios and people take them to heart.

Guy with a quadcoptor - Has to be one of those pervs they talk about online, it never occurred to her that there was an innocent explanation.
Imagine had she behaved like a rational person, and asked what he was doing. In a post he made on an RC forum he described such an encounter he had earlier with someone else. At first they were a little concerned, he showed them his footage, they saw he wasn’t evil perv and then chatted about the cool toy.

She decided she had to strike a blow for women everywhere because everyone with a quadcoptor that has a camera is a creeping perv… because that is what makes the media.

I am reminded of attacks on Sikhs that still happen to this day because people imagine them to be Muslim Terrorists. They fit a stereotype on the tv, they must be bad. They did something different it scares me, attack them before they attack me.

Once upon a time we would greet strangers on the street, now we shift our view away… but only a little because they might grab your purse, or slap a suicide bomb vest on you. Maybe it is time we try and treat other people like people and not scary stereotypes, it might make the world a better place.

10 Likes

Just because something is legal doesn’t make it ok. Leaving this instance aside, since it seems pretty possible that he wasn’t doing what the woman thought he was doing, filming people in a public space can easily be a violation of privacy in a non-legal sense. For example, if I put a camera in your face on a public street and made loud buzzing noises, you’d probably get annoyed, and maybe even call the cops. However, I’d be totally within my rights to do that to you. For hours even.

I think stories like this are interesting because they point to how we’re still forming our cultural norms regarding drone use. I’m sure in the early 1900s, when portable cameras were a new thing, people were similarly working things out. There was probably some jackass holding a camera in the face of a stranger, while loudly proclaiming his legal right to do it, and that jackass probably got punched too. Now its pretty rare to hold a camera in a stranger’s face. The cultural norms are pretty worked out.

Sometime soon we’ll probably see a similar shift in drone use. Lets hope so, at least.

Watch the video from the quad - it’s been posted a couple times in this thread. He was 50-100 feet above a nearly deserted beach, and the few people shown are barely visible, let alone recognizable. No rational person could consider this to be an “invasion of privacy”. It’s not a tough call. It’s just a story about an over-entitled, sociopathic bitch physically assaulting a minor and then lying to the cops to try to get him arrested. It’s not even “interesting” - it’s rage-inducing.

10 Likes