Woman asked to remove "Hail Satan" T-shirt on American Airlines flight

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/09/woman-asked-to-remove-hail-s.html

7 Likes

Welp, I know what I’m wearing the next time I fly American.

I’ll also be writing “Hail Satan” on my gut in sharpie, and I will be only too happy to comply when they ask me to remove my T-shirt.

64 Likes

Part of the problem is the vagueness of this statement:

## §121.580 Prohibition on interference with crewmembers.

No person may assault, threaten, intimidate, or interfere with a crewmember in the performance of the crewmember’s duties aboard an aircraft being operated under this part.

This somehow is construed to be having an opinion on dress code and other entirely arbitrary topics that do not have a bearing of the safe operation on the flight.

25 Likes

SHE’S A SPAWN OF SATAN AND WILL POSSESS AND STEAL EVERYONE’S SOULS AND THEN SPLIT OPEN THEIR CHESTS AND HEADS AND EAT THEIR HEARTS AND BRAI—

oh, she covered up the shirt? We’re safe now…

73 Likes

Satan was actually a consultant for AA, and came up with their $25 checked bag policy, and the limited legroom.

58 Likes

For airlines who worship money above all things this seems a bit hypocritical.

34 Likes

Please make and wear a shirt that says “HAIL SANTA”. This is for science and the Internet needs to know what happens. Thanks in advance.

26 Likes

American Airlines complete statement:
“We at American Airlines sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused in our unilateral decision to ignore your constitutional rights and causing your public humiliation. This is not the standard policy with which we would like to be (publicly) known, and the crew members responsible for carrying out these acts have been severely wrist-slapped.
We absolutely would also have taken this seriously even had you not raised a social media fuss about it.
Know that in the future, we have certainly learned our lesson, but this will absolutely happen again.
Hail Trump!”

20 Likes

Don’t forget the idea for seats where you never actually sit down. This guy doesn’t LOOK Satanic, but you can never really tell.

satan

9 Likes

Satan is actually a bit irritated that American didn’t implement all of the Prince of Darkness’s recommendations. However, I have it on good authority that they’ll get to them in the next couple of quarters.

7 Likes

I think a link to the apparel is appropriate:

(Sold Out)

16 Likes

Hail Satin
Hail Santan
Hail Sanat
Hail Samtan
Hail Satam
Hail Sa+an
Hail Sandwiches
Hail Damage
Heil Santa
Mall Satan

8 Likes

Jesus Saves, Moses Invests, Satan Flies Free?

20 Likes

I was expecting she removed the shirt and stood there topless asking, “OK, fine. Everything good now?”

26 Likes

I think that’s pretty good grounds for a lawsuit, since religion is a protected class, and airplanes are a public accommodation. Unless they have a policy against all expressions of religion (including cross necklaces), I don’t think they have a case.

28 Likes

To Xtians, persecution is not being able to persecute anyone who dares publicly disagree with their delusions.

42 Likes

Many English surnames derive from theatrical performances. People would play specific parts in performances such as passion plays and festivals and when surnames were mandated by Henry VIII they used their parts as surnames. Surnames such as King, Pope, Priest, Duke, etc are very common and come from this tradition. Another one, which is far less popular is… Satan.

https://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=satan

9 Likes

If her T-shirt had said “Hail Mammon” or “Hail Asmodeus” they would have been OK with it. They just don’t want their bosses thinking anyone’s trying to go over their heads.

12 Likes

That’s their hypocritical excuse, not a source of actual confusion. It’s an excuse for the arbitrary suppression of beliefs dissenting from their own because they’re too intellectually chicken-shit to allow any disagreement with their magical thinking and mindless insecurities. It’s an instrument of cultural conformity which they pretend is a security measure. That’s the hallmark of a hollow rule, gas-lighting the public with bullshit labels.

Airlines have demonstrated that they won’t even confront a passenger wearing a shirt advocating fascism…

23 Likes

Because where else would they be from?

7 Likes