Woman in 1860 painting depicts a time traveler using her iPhone

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/16/woman-in-1860-painting-depicts-a-time-traveler-using-her-iphone.html

12 Likes

And people don’t believe in progress.

11 Likes

“Dammit, why don’t I get good reception out here in the forest, in the 19th century?”

40 Likes

Maybe it IS an iPhone and she’s got a Bible app ?

23 Likes

Charging would be tough, back then before electricity.

13 Likes

This looks like one of the those paintings that the Toast used to feature; “Woman accosted by stalker.”

15 Likes

And don’t forget they only had USB 1.0 back then, so you couldn’t even pull power from your other devices.

21 Likes

If she’s playing Flappy Bird, then we know she’s a time traveler from the past.

11 Likes

The reflected light on her face really pulls that together.

Which is the expected one?

6 Likes

Were it a cellphone then the presumptive (foreground) suitor would’ve already been summarily dispatched/swiped via Tinder, OKCupid, Bumble, Happn, Smursh, Blatt, Snoggg, Zaggoooo, Blizzblazzz…

6 Likes

Too early. None of that techie stuff took off until rather later.

29 Likes

unless the time traveler brought a cell tower with her she better go on to church to pray for 4 bars.

6 Likes

Their receivers are thoroughly grounded but beware lightning strikes. Although I recall a circa 1770 fad of wearing grounded lightning rods on high headgear. What a way to spark conversations!

5 Likes

iPhone 12? Pshaw. That’s an iPhone 499.

4 Likes

While Herr Gutenberg’s printing-prefs is a marvel of our times, yet I for one am sick of yon perfons which attend their prayer-books instead of the by-way ahead of them. If thou canft not look where thou art bound, thou hadft better hope thy prayer-book may unwrap thee from the axle of the speeding hay-wain which is surely thy deftination.

Afs-holes.

23 Likes

Back when Blackberry was the business phone of choice there was the “Blackberry Prayer” where people were responding to email below the level of the table instead of paying attention to the meeting.

2 Likes

“OMG, Hanna, he’s there again! It’s a pink rose this time. :nauseated_face:

11 Likes

see: Aristotle and the Gun

The graphic novel?

There’s a graphic novel? No, I was thinking of L. Sprague’s short story.