Woman on Boston beach gets trapped in the sand and calls for help

Originally published at: Woman on Boston beach gets trapped in the sand and calls for help | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Doggy doggy doggy doggy doggy. :heart_eyes:

9 Likes

Gasp! Quicksand? QUICKSAND?!!! Finally, the common danger trope I grew up with actually becomes a relevant danger!

30 Likes

tidal mudflats do not fuck around. People foolish enough to walk through them get stuck all the time. Most folks don’t make the news, though – a little assistance from a traveling companion or a passerby is usually enough to get free, without calling in rescue services.

I got stuck in the north bay once, as a teen, but my dad was able to pull me out. A friend of mine got stuck in Monterey just last week, but her husband was able to help her get out.

Honestly, as long as you’ve got a companion around to pull you out, a walk through the mudflats isn’t particularly dangerous – getting stuck will just ruin your mood and your shoes without posing any serious risk (I don’t think it’s physically possible to sink much further than waist deep). But walking alone, you have the added embarrassment of having to beg a stranger for help.

7 Likes

I was just going to ask if anyone else was absolutely terrified of this exact situation happening as a kid.

10 Likes

21 Likes

Definitely obsessed with the Bermuda Triangle as a kid. Nessie didn’t scare me - but also into Cryptids and other weirdness.

8 Likes

went on a stroll with a dog to look for sea glass on the beach.

Boston’s Constitution Beach

Restrictions at Constitution Beach Park

• No alcohol
  • No pets
  • No littering
2 Likes

I bet you’re super fun at parties.

“Was this cheese made in a bathtub and not pasteurized? Are you sure? What about this liquor, was it distilled in a shed out back?”

10 Likes

Just sick of the non-enforcement of anti-dog regulations in Boston parks.

4 Likes

From memory I think getting on one’s back and then working your feet out is a good way to do so without sinking in (if you don’t have help).

5 Likes

Saw this happen at Cape Hatteras in '99 after Hurricane Dennis. Huge rains created a pond that stood for a couple weeks behind the dunes, and I suppose some of the ground got saturated enough to become quicksand. A man wading at the base of the dune got good and stuck, and we could not budge him. The rangers and rescue squad made a little cofferdam around his calf & foot by driving wood shingles into the sand, then scooped out the sand faster than it could ooze back in from underneath, till he could pull free.

And, beware the Grimpen Mire!

8 Likes

When I was a kid around 9 or 10 my family took a trip down to Shelton Washington. Shelton is just Northwest of Olympia Wa at the south end of Puget Sound. We stopped by some inlet off the road called mud Bay. We as kids wanted to go scamper out onto the beach. But I tossed a rock. Splutch. It was Mud Bay. We did not play on that beach

5 Likes

That’s the wrong way to go clamming.

6 Likes

13 comments and nobody said “life’s a beach, and it sucks” yet?

10 Likes

That’s a deep thought.

4 Likes

I might think that was a slimy thing to say, but that would create friction where there is none. :wink:

3 Likes

Dogs are allowed on the beach from mid-September through the end of April.

9 Likes

Why did they make her walk on the ladder when there was a perfectly good board right there

2 Likes

Yesh, a very cute doggy, too!

2 Likes