Woman trapped with a blind date after Chinese COVID lockdown

Women have to worry about that pretty much all our lives. But hey… sure… NBD.

Well, apparently, the worse thing here is this guy having to deal with her checks notes posting on her insta…

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

But nah… it must be that she just wants attention… /s

I see we’ve come to the “she’s not doing it right, so clearly she’s wrong” phase of this conversation.

It seems like an actual lockdown…

Well, we’re ALWAYS doing it wrong, after all. /s

16 Likes

Surprisingly, the other party has rights, too. Including not getting broadcast all over the internet.

4 Likes

However, the important thing being overlooked here is that there wasn’t an issue for either “blind dater” until folks started spreading the news and friends began contacting him about his newfound popularity. If anything, I’d be more upset that my so-called friends felt this would be something worthy of being teased over.

Wang appeared to be very appreciative of his efforts in light of the situation and his lack of stellar conversation and cooking skills, and expressed this to the local news outlet. It wasn’t really a problem until other folks made it a problem.

11 Likes

I’d say her protecting herself in a bad situation for both of them does matter.

But yes, let’s keep both siding women’s safety. Being laughed at is heaps worse than possible being in physical danger, after all… /s

11 Likes

At the very least, the guy should make a statement. We know he doesn’t have to step in to defend her actions, but it would go a long way to make sure folks know they need to stop blaming her for their circumstances.

9 Likes

Right? Not like she ordered the lockdown… not like she wants to spend a whole week with a stranger.

I really, REALLY wish some men would take this shit seriously. They refuse to accept that the violence against women is a serious problem that shapes how we act in public and even in private. But it’s far easier to complain about “attention seeking females” than it is to understand why someone might be doing something like posting on social media in a weird and tense situation.

11 Likes

Weird.

No one ever said or even implied that he doesn’t.

Rights and personal agency are not a fucking pie; more for one person doesn’t equate to less for the other person.

And frankly, in this situation, the woman in question is far more at risk of something untoward happening to her than the man is.

SMFH

@thomdunn

Framing this story as if it were similar to some stupid romcom was probably a really bad idea; too many men already don’t take women’s safety and well being seriously enough.

13 Likes

Lets Go Reaction GIF

Sarah Weems I Guess GIF by Achievement Hunter

10 Likes

I think that we can all agree that this situation could have easily turned horrific, even tragic for Ms. Wang. I also think that we can be glad that it did not turn out that way while recognizing that it must be quite terrifying for her.

At the same time, she is not every woman and her blind date is not every man. These are two unique individuals in a very unique situation, both of whom seem to be trying to make the best of it in their own way and without (intentionally) harming the other.

Of course, I think that we can all also agree that the framing as a potential romcom is problematic, as romcoms in general romanticize bizarre situations such as these, as though they are supposed to be the norm for how people meet and fall in love (spoiler alert: that is not how things work in real life).

4 Likes

One reason people are probably not being overly concerned about this woman’s’ safety is that she is posting updates complaining about the food. If she was in danger I hope she would have said so. Violence against women is a very real issue not to be minimized but it seems that in this instance she is not at risk.

1 Like

IIRC the technical term for that is “meet cute”.

1 Like

Right, right. A rom-com is where they initially hate each other but only because of an unfortunate string of misunderstandings.

1 Like

So… a rom-com?

5 Likes

I would watch this so hard!

1 Like

Except of course, it’s not possible to say “I’m in physical danger” without putting yourself in greater danger…

derry-girls-sister-michael-christ

9 Likes

It’s amazing/disturbing to me how many people are making this assumption. I’ll believe the risk is over when she’s back in her own home, or able to stay with someone she knows instead of at a stranger’s place.

10 Likes

Right???

WTAF.

7 Likes

But a MAN is being LAUGHED AT!!! /s

6 Likes

That’s like, the worst thing possible…

7 Likes